REN64 power

Mudsculpter

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the answer. I want to power the REN64 through the RJ45.

Is it possible ?.....

Yes, although not necessarily convenient.

If you intend to use the PWM code, the board will take either 0.5A (or so) if you are not using the on-board LEDs, about 1A if you are. In either case you should provide externally regulated DC power to the board. You can bring it in through the RJ45 jacks on pins 7/8, although you must bring in the zero-crossing some other way. You probably cannot use the on-board regulator in this situation (most likely you will have power dissipation problems with the regulator). To bring in power through the RJ45 connector you should install a jumper in place of D1, and another jumper across the outer two pins (1,3) of the regulator U1.

If you are using the non-PWM code, the board will require around 100 mA of current. In this case you can either do the same thing as above, or you should be able to use Wayne's transformer board (or some equivalent method) to provide power to the regulator. Instructions for this are in the wiki.

--

Phil

If I use the transformer board,... will I need the zero cross thing-a-ma-bob? and will I still need to supply 5v through the rj45?

Well, I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'thing-a-ma-bob'.

The transformer board can provide power, zero-crossing and input serial signal through the RJ45 connector (although only enough power for the non-PWM firmware). It's more complicated if you want to use the PWM firmware.

--

Phil

Apologies for not being more technical. I am not as learned as you folks and am trying to keep up as best I can.

What is the benefits/drawbacks of non-PWM vs PWM firmware?

Non-PWM firmware - lower power consumption. Won't dim the per-channel LEDs on the Renard64 board, may have uneven response when dimming LED strings.

PWM firmware - allows dimming of the LEDs on the Renard64 board, may be needed for dimming LED strings.

--

Phil

Back