Renard boards not communicating

Amigorick

I have a couple of Renard 24SS boards that check out perfectly with Diagnostic chip but with Dirk?s Xbee Adapter, they are getting no signal. I swapped out the Xbee three times in each board and reprogrammed the pics a few times too but can?t get anything on the diagnostic leds to light up indicating a signal. What am I missing? I feel like it is something simple but can?t get either of them to work.

A 'Mark' parity bit (plus a stop bit) has an identical waveform with 'No' parity + two stop bits. Other than slowing things down by one bit/character, there shouldn't be any problems with sending 'Mark' parity when 'No' Parity was specified as long as the bits/char setting is configured the same at both ends.

Incidently, 57000 baud is a strange value, 57600 is the more conventional value. But I suppose that was just a typo.

Sorry, it was!! I have two boards ( both 24SS ) that will run the Diagnostic chip correctly but get no signal from the
Xbee. I took the same Xbee radio and adapter as well as the pic with the Start Address Firmware and put them in another board and it works !!

Could it possibly the oscillator? I have a few extra. Could that cause a no signal event?

Sorry, it was!! I have two boards ( both 24SS ) that will run the Diagnostic chip correctly but get no signal from the
Xbee. I took the same Xbee radio and adapter as well as the pic with the Start Address Firmware and put them in another board and it works !!

If the Renards aren't getting a signal, check to make sure that your transmitting XBee is getting power and that the receiving XBees are also getting power. (Use your DVM to measure across pins 1 and 10 on the Xbee -- it should be 3.3vdc or so.) I've never seen an XBee or a PIC to lose its firmware, so I doubt that's the problem. I have XBees that I flashed in 2009 that still work perfectly after being in a box on the shelf all that time. Remember that the XBee adapter (if it's the serial one that plugs into the SS board's serial input, it also needs to be connected to +5v on the SS board)

If you're using ESP modules instead of XBees, you of course need the show's WiFi access point running or the ESP's won't do anything. ESP's usually have a status LED that's visible when the module is powered on. (If the ESP can't find its network, it seems to take a trip to Neverneverland...)

If the SS board's 18.432mhz oscillator is dead, you'd need either a DIGWDF SST to check for the oscillator's pulse or an oscilloscope. I have seen a couple oscillators go bad over the past dozen years but it's pretty rare, too...

Thanks!! I am leaning towards the Oscillator. I have other boards that are all working with the Xbee Transmitting to them. I purchased a couple of used ones and they are the ones acting up. I also purchased a Kostyun Renard 24 and am trying to figure out how to wire the Xbee Adapter to it so it will be wireless too. I know it uses a different chip than the ST485BN Chips

If the Renards aren't getting a signal, check to make sure that your transmitting XBee is getting power and that the receiving XBees are also getting power. (Use your DVM to measure across pins 1 and 10 on the Xbee -- it should be 3.3vdc or so.) I've never seen an XBee or a PIC to lose its firmware, so I doubt that's the problem. I have XBees that I flashed in 2009 that still work perfectly after being in a box on the shelf all that time. Remember that the XBee adapter (if it's the serial one that plugs into the SS board's serial input, it also needs to be connected to +5v on the SS board)

If you're using ESP modules instead of XBees, you of course need the show's WiFi access point running or the ESP's won't do anything. ESP's usually have a status LED that's visible when the module is powered on. (If the ESP can't find its network, it seems to take a trip to Neverneverland...)

If the SS board's 18.432mhz oscillator is dead, you'd need either a DIGWDF SST to check for the oscillator's pulse or an oscilloscope. I have seen a couple oscillators go bad over the past dozen years but it's pretty rare, too...

Back