Renard Verison compatability

paul5cimn

I have three different styles of Renards and am trying to understand the differences to determine if they will work in a serial chain. The current configuration has (2) Lynx Express connected to the DMX Dongle. The last Lynx Express is terminated and then connects to the Renard SS24 which connects to a Ren24 v3.3 which connects to the Renard Plus TR24. After creating a profile in Vixen 2.1.1 with the LEs followed by the SS24, when checking output to all channels, everything lights up. Replacing the SS24 with Ren24 or TR24, nothing happens past the LEs. I assumed incorrectly that this meant the SS was working correctly so I revised the sequence to only include the SS24 but when we installed in the yard, some of the channels on the LEs also light on the SS24 and some do not light at all.

While this is my problem, my request for help is finding historical information on the older boards to determine what the differences are and what might be causing the problem. I believe this information will drive me to flash all the PICs to work together.

Thanks,

Have you converted the Renards to not use the Renard protocol but instead use DMX? If not, then the renards will not understand the DMX data stream you are sending them. The Renard series devices derive their names from the Renard communications protocol that they use to transfer data between the show computer and the controllers. That protocol is NOT compatible with DMX. However, the hardware developed to process the Renard data stream is able to process the DMX data stream when the proper software is installed on them.

Next, what do you mean by "terminating" on the final Lynx? If you added a termination resistor at that point, then you might want to remove it. The first Renard device in the chain should be applying the RS485 termination (assuming the Lynx devices are true DMX and electrically pass the RS485 signal through them).

FYI: The Renards are NOT 100% electrically compatible with the DMX protocol. Each Renard device terminates the RS485 signal and regenerates a new signal when sending to the next device in the chain. For this reason, when using the Renards on an RS485 connection, you should set the jumpers to put the termination resistor into the circuit on every Renard, not just the last one.

Back