Renardss 24 hook up help

Jsw2488

I know this is supper late in the season.. Trying to get my show going, but I'm having some issues... again... I'm not using any pixels. when I check "com 5" is active. it says its sending data. when I pug in the controller the lights do flash like they should. looking for some help asap! so I can get my show on live. i am using all 24 that my controller has. Yes the show was active as well. but the display didn't light anything up. cable is plugged into the "input" on the board as well. using vixen 3.10. TIA hopefully we can get this fixed soon!!!

Ok, step is through the setup...
Vixen or other software?
Does the show play in the preview window on your computer?
What do your channel maps look like/what controller type is configured?
USB to RS-485 dongle? Does it have LEDs that should flash when sending serial data? Device Manager show errors? Verified that Windows didn't magically change the COM port?
Good power lights on the board?
Diagnostic firmware or shunts? Do you see the LEDs light on the board when diagnostic runs or the channels fire?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Ok, step is through the setup...
Vixen or other software?
Does the show play in the preview window on your computer?
What do your channel maps look like/what controller type is configured?
USB to RS-485 dongle? Does it have LEDs that should flash when sending serial data? Device Manager show errors? Verified that Windows didn't magically change the COM port?
Good power lights on the board?
Diagnostic firmware or shunts? Do you see the LEDs light on the board when diagnostic runs or the channels fire?

Vixen 3.1xx

It does play in the preview on my computer

Not sure what you are looking for for the map/controller. I have a Renard SS. I can use up to 32 channels and I?m using 24.

The Gongo does light up and shows that it is transferring data with the LED light on the Dongo.

Device manager shows no errors and is showing com 5 as that is what is programmed in vixen as well

The LED on the board has never worked from day one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Speed on the port and in Vixen?

What SS do you have that has 31 channels?

I have 2 boards a 24 and a 8, together making 32

65814b2e48e8a65464549487338bf92f.jpg

Figured I?d post this right away? this is wired correctly. As I looked at my notes and it?s the same as my notes. 1- white with blue 2- blue 5- or and and white with orange.

bf353eaf1bcae1a4a8c9ecda6048cbf9.jpg

This sounds familiar to last year when it was a USB driver reload. But, if the TX light on the USB dongle flashes when the Vixen program is open, and the LED stops flashing when you close Vixen, I'd assume good driver and dongle function. Troubleshooting would then be isolated between the dongle and the light strings.

Yep same issue I had last year! I?m sooo confused because this computer is only used for Christmas other than that it stays off. Nothing has changed.

When your running a sequence do the leds on the renard also flash? Also on the computer under device manager is the controller showing your comport which you have shown us is 5? If the renard is showing activity during a sequence I usually check my cords with a non contact power tester.

Remembering from last time, you had an SS24 and an SS8, right? Do you see the same no-lights on the SS8 when you plug directly into it rather than into the SS24? Of course, you'll have to make sure channels 1-8 activate instead of 25-32.

There is a jumper, can't remember which one, check the Wikki, if you enable it the LEDs on the SS24 flash for the 1st 4 or 5 channels if they receive a signal. Let's you know if data is getting past the 485 chip.

Another thing I have done is pull out just a little, all the main chips, then reseat for a better connection (PIC, 485, Osc).

Back