Replace batteries with PSU

munu

I have a bunch of items that run on 5V. It's not just for Christmas but also Halloween, Easter, etc. These "props" are usually strings of items like ghosts1.png in the attachment. Typically, they run of 3 AA batteries (3.6-4.5V). I don't like batteries as I have a bunch of such "props" and so I constantly have to replace and charge batteries. I started modifying those battery boxes so I can feed in 5V from an automotive connector. See connector1.jpg.

The question is how do I best provide the 5V to those automotive connectors. I could use a modified USB charger for each prop but then I end up with a power strip so I can plug in each USB charger. That might also short out when it's raining. Currently, I am leaning toward building a small box that can feed maybe 6 props. The box would just have a small switching PSU that can maybe provide 5A (more than enough for such small things) and 5 cables with automotive connectors. Hence, I can hook up 5 such props from one location. I would want to keep those boxes really small and inexpensive as the were to be placed in quite a few locations.

Attachments

• ghosts1.png
    ghosts1.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 19
  • connector1.jpg
    connector1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 23
I've used both regular PSU's and USB wall chargers, and I think the answer is: whatever is most convenient for you. You're going to have to waterproof it either way (presuming it is outdoors--this can and does work indoors as well. I have 5v PSU's indoors running power injection on the side of my house). The wall chargers are easier to waterproof--sometimes a simple $5 cord cover from Stuff Mart will suffice. You can reuse your wall chargers later on non-Chtistmas stuff when you're done. But other times, a 5v power supply is sitting right there anyway, to power unrelated stuff. So just tap it and run it 5 feet over to your battery-powered...whatever it is.

In another case, I have a USB-powered neon prop that I wanted to switch as part of the sequence. I went DMX. I have a dimmer box, 12v, runs 12v floodlights. I run one port through a step-down to 5v, and recycle a broken cell charger cable.

I ordered some PSUs and weather sealed junction boxes. Will see how that goes... Thanks for the feedback.

Back