RGB amplifier as DC SSR

jchuchla

Supporting Member
I've read that some have used "RGB amplifiers" as DCSSRs. I'm attempting to do this without too much luck at the moment.
My RGB amp appears to work. If I wire it's output terminals to the 4 wires of a strip. And I apply power to the power terminals. I can then ground any of the color input pins of the RGB amp, I can get the appropriate color of the strip to light up. Now I think I could connect the solid color wires of the cat5 to the RGB input pins and the Orange/white wire to the + terminal. But when I connect this cat5 to one of the outputs on my RP32 I'm not getting anything on the lights. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?
This is the RGB amp I'm using. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...put-4A-3-channel-output/701799_877560440.html

What is the output of the rp32 ? +5 or +12 ?

if no, I cannot see this working as a dcssr .

I use these with a ren48lsd .

I'm getting 5v p-p from the rp32. I know the voltage is a mismatch. But I thought the point of these devices was to just read the incoming pwm and regenerate it using the 12v input power.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting 5v p-p from the rp32. I know the voltage is a mismatch. But I thought the point of these devices was to just read the incoming pwm and regenerate it using the 12v input power.

--Jon Chuchla--

I've heard of a lot of people using them with the LSD. Need to remember the LSD uses negative outputs. You can try loading the DC negative output FW to the board and see if it works.

Last edited:
You'll also need to check the draw, you might end up pulling more than the PIC can handle, the LSD can handle 400mA where the PIC is around 20mA (I forget exactly but know the resistor combo we use keeps it around that).

Last edited:
So if it's inverted output that I need, can I test that quickly
By just reversing polarity on the amp input between the common anode and one color input? (Leaving the other two color inputs disconnected while testing)

--Jon Chuchla--

I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Mac and we're both still stumped. We tried all kinds of stuff and still couldn't get it going. So if anyone has actually gotten this combo working be sure to chime in.

--Jon Chuchla--

Yes. That was one of the first things I did. That works. But my finger would get pretty tired trying to emulate PWM on the switch.
I spent the morning before church today trying to find a schematic or real data sheet on the RGB amp. No luck on either. But I did get a real part number. It's a Rita product R-103. I did find one spec page on an eBay listing that mentioned that the input voltages can be +-3V from the supply voltage. So that explains why the 5v PWM doesn't work.
I just got back inside from a long cold wet day of zip tying pixabulbs outside. When my fingers thaw, I'm going to try a few more things.

--Jon Chuchla--

Back