RGB Pixels - Soon to be Delivered

JEC

Hi Folks,

The overseas factory is delivering a shiny new batch of RGB pixels about 16 days from now. These are assembled and tested units, guaranteed to dazzle your neighbors and pets.

It's the same design as we've run several times in the past.

Schematics, source code snippets, etc are here:

http://www.response-box.com/rgblights/2007schematic.shtml

About 110 of these haven't been spoken for yet. If you need some, contact me through the site listed above. Email is best - the shopping cart can be quirky.

International shipping is no problem.

I haven't decided if I'll do a run in addition to this one before Christmas. It's a 25 day factory lead time, so there's not much wiggle room left.

If the demand is there and quantity is high enough, I'm happy to do it. But who knows what the future will bring.

JEC

Last edited:
EDIT: These have all been spoken for. Took just over an hour this time...

Wow.

If there's still interest, I'll place another order within the next two weeks. However, I won't do it without hearing from you first.

Last edited:
Jec,

well i would be interested in getting some more before christmas.

Not sure how many the budget would allow but i would start the demand with a small 5-6 to me .

so if you happen to order some more let me know

Peter

JEC,

I have been testing LOR with DMX and I'm thinking I can use some of the pixels.. Do we just need the pixels, or do we need any additional hardware to make them work on a DMX network.

JEC,

I have been testing LOR with DMX and I'm thinking I can use some of the pixels.. Do we just need the pixels, or do we need any additional hardware to make them work on a DMX network.

In theory, all you need are pixels.

They chain together with regular cat5 network cable. At the beginning of each chain, you need to combine power and data into a single cable.

If you're running more than about 20 on a single chain, you should add power to both ends of the cable. Voltage drop in the cat5 (even though we're using 3 conductors each for power and ground) is the limiting factor in this design.

The online store has circuit boards which easily merge the data and power into a single cable. Or, make your own cables using the pixel schematic shown elsewhere on this site.

The store is at www.response-box.com/catalog

You also need to provide a +12v switching power supply capable of delivering 120 mA per pixel at full brightness. I've had great success using surplus computer supplies.

A regular linear supply will not work. The LED chains are connected directly to the +12v rail, so if there is a slight variance or overvoltage, Bad Things might happen.

Looks like I may be placing a second order this week, so let me know what parts you need.

Back