Roof mount

chicken

My parents display has a large wire frame setup of Santa, 7 reindeer and a few other misc items on the roof made from 3/8” rebar. The tallest is Rudolph which has a ~8’ stand holding him up for a total of about 12’. For the first 35 years these have been up, my dad had a piece of redwood drilled and lag screwed into the roof about a 1’ from the peak. We then used some small clamps over the rebar to screw then into the redwood and then attached a few guywires on each side of each element and tied them to eye screws also screwed through the roof. That worked well but but my parents just had a new roof installed along with solar and we want to not put any holes into it. Working with the roofer they put in some heavy anchors were we used to have the eye screws so we have strong weather proofed locations for the guywires. What I am trying to figure out is how to build a removable platform to mount the wire frames to. I was thinking of building something out of either 1’ tube steel or some sort of wood that would straddle the roof peak that I could screw a 2x4 to that I could then anchor the wire frames to. Most of the holding strength for the wire frames will come from the guywires. Any thoughts or setups you guys have seen? Thanks

I’d probably just run a 2x4 board along the ridge and brace it with horizontal outriggers that match the roof pitch. Weld up the outriggers from some re-bar or square tube. That’ll hold the base “plate” on the roof, and then your guy wires will do the rest.

Back