Rookie mistake???

ChristmasDay

I think I've made yet another rookie mistake. I got a bunch of 1" PVC I was going to use for my house and window outlines and now I can seem to find gutter clips for 1" PVC. I already made a jig and my window frames out of 1" and they fit and I like them but I'm wondering if I need to make a jig for 1/2"or 3/4" PVC for the house outline and use the 1" for another project. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies and I could absolutely use something like that on my peaks where I'm mounting them to wood trim but I was hoping to find something I could literally hang from the gutter. I think I've seen a few clips where it looks like the PVC snaps in and then the whole thing hangs from the gutters. This would be useful for about 70% of my outline.

rstehle - how do those attach to the house?

Thanks again for the replies and knowledge!

Some people use J channel to attach to the pipe and then use it as a hook to hang from the gutter. That should work just fine with 1" pipe

I've seen that and love the look but I've got a lot of ground to cover and was hoping I could find something like the picture below just for 1" PVC instead of 1/2".
c73d9f0c682c2515fe366f6f9a167d24.jpg

It looks fast, simple and easy to hang for my 25' run 30' off the ground. Maybe I'll just have to switch to 1/2 and find a 3D printer. The person that designed them has said he's no longer taking orders and I assume not modifications...bummer!

I just bought a monoprice select mini 3d printer last week, I've worked with Sketchup in the past for woodworking but I'm still learning how to use this printer. Never thought about making clips with it. Now I have something to work on. :)

Btw Verrous...I used/slightly modified your instructions and posts (with a sprinkle of Matt Johnson) to build my 1" jig that now I wish was 1/2". Here's a picture of my first ever pixel (or any other light) element and completed frame.
5128a45a2ac0c292b6fa847d60eb8dbf.jpg

Thank you! It worked great.

Hey Brave!

Thanks for the reply! If you get it figured out with 1" PVC let me know. I'd gladly pay you for your time, printing supplies, clips and shipping. Here is a link to the thread that has a link to the 3D files I believe and a video of how they work. Let me know if you come up with anything. I've been eyeing a 3D printer but I just made the leap into this hobby and my wife would kill me. I'm going to have to hold off until my birthday in May to get one. How do you like the printer? The monoprice is one of the ones I've been considering for some of these things. I'd love to be able to print these and Wolfie's mega tree ends just have to be patient...ha!

Hey Brave!

Thanks for the reply! If you get it figured out with 1" PVC let me know. I'd gladly pay you for your time, printing supplies, clips and shipping. Here is a link to the thread that has a link to the 3D files I believe and a video of how they work. Let me know if you come up with anything. I've been eyeing a 3D printer but I just made the leap into this hobby and my wife would kill me. I'm going to have to hold off until my birthday in May to get one. How do you like the printer? The monoprice is one of the ones I've been considering for some of these things. I'd love to be able to print these and Wolfie's mega tree ends just have to be patient...ha!
Not sure if such a small printer would be efficient for large quantities of these clips but for home use it might be ok. I haven't produced anything of substance yet. (Had to travel this weekend instead of playing) so it might be some time. I have some Gator shingle clips I like and might try something like those but for pvc. They have small teeth that bite into the shingles for grip and a ratchet like clip to hold lights. That just needs to be rotated 90 degrees to work with the pvc.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Commerci...38817&wl11=online&wl12=47650475&wl13=&veh=sem
48d964f4a9ca322ef5ed8e284728879a.jpg

The printer is great for the price. I am having a few problems with getting the filament sticking to the bed and the nozzle getting stuck but I'm still learning. (There are also so many hacks available)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I'm sure it wouldn't be. I'm guessing that's why the other guys bailed when tons of people started ordering them.

I'm so tempted for $200 I would just want to be sure I could print at least these gutter clips, Wolfie's mega tree ends and RaspberryPi cases before I spent the money. I'm so ignorant on 3D printing I'm not sure how I'd even figure that out...ha!

I used 3/4" PVC with J-Hooks to hang it off my gutters, then on the wooden area drilled in eye hooks to hold the J-Hooks. Worked great and easy to put up and take down.
Just an extra hole in the PVC where you want the hook then I put a nut above the PVC and a locking nut on the bottom.

I'm sure it wouldn't be. I'm guessing that's why the other guys bailed when tons of people started ordering them.

I'm so tempted for $200 I would just want to be sure I could print at least these gutter clips, Wolfie's mega tree ends and RaspberryPi cases before I spent the money. I'm so ignorant on 3D printing I'm not sure how I'd even figure that out...ha!

Build area is 120mm x 120mm x 120mm or about 4.7" square.
I think the pi3 is 4.8" long so it would be a close fit.

Just measured mine with the PiCap and it's a little over 3 1/2" long by 2 3/8" wide by 1 3/4" tall but then you have to add the material thickness but I would still think it should be less than 4"

Just measured mine with the PiCap and it's a little over 3 1/2" long by 2 3/8" wide by 1 3/4" tall but then you have to add the material thickness but I would still think it should be less than 4"

I was going on the Amazon page. Not impossible they have the wrong specs.

Ha! Amazon is never wrong...I just measured it but maybe they are including cable connectors or something. Mines definitely not that big. I've seen the 3D files for the cases on here before. I'll have to see if I can find one again and determine dimensions

Rookie mistake? Nah.

I think the most common mistake ANY of us make (and we ALL do this and we keep repeating it from year to year) is our propensity to over-engineer and try to make things "perfect." We tend to obsess over things that are often quite trivial and that takes us away from sometimes more important issues.

Not implying that's the case here -- only bringing up what may be one of the most common foibles. :wink2:

Back