Ropelight Flag 6 x 3 ft

jrock64

I thought I had posted the build details of my flag previously but can not find them now so here goes again.
Or maybe the first time.

The flag is homebuilt out of rope light. 6ft wide 3 1/2 tall.
3 pieces of 1/2in pipe and 3 pieces of 3/8in rebar form the frame.
1/4in mesh wire goes over the top of that to form the grid to attach the rope light to.
This year I made a 24 channel dedicated controller that permanently attached to the back of the flag.

The stand or posts are just more rebar I just welded a 3/8in rebar to 1/2in rebar six inches from the top.
This added stability to the 1/2in rebar and the pipe just slips over the top of the 1/2in and rests on the 3/8in rebar.

A word of warning. All that rope light is heavy.

attachment.php

My ropelight had an 18in cut
Width 72"
Height 42"
Overall 72" 8 segemnts
Blue 27" 3 segments
Field 45" 5 segments

Blue 31.5ft
Red 66f
White 58.5ft

And here is what it looks like
http://www.vimeo.com/12757382

Joel

Attachments

• Flag-Detail.jpg
    Flag-Detail.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
pretty neat concept if i have the money i might do something like that for the 4th probably not though mostly only have the Christmas in me

Thanks for posting. If I can figure out how to weld, I'm all over this idea.

Don't really need to Weld. You can Wire the mesh to the supports and then wire-tie the lights to the Mesh (hardware cloth).

Great Job Jrock. Another project of yours do add to my A.D.D. You are fighting my medication dude!

do you have a good source for ropelight? I bought some from a vendor this year (2010), and it head weak looking spots upon receiving it, and had a segment go out within a week.
Did not return because needed for a project. Looking for a reliable source of ropelight.

bert-nc

do you have a good source for ropelight? I bought some from a vendor this year (2010), and it head weak looking spots upon receiving it, and had a segment go out within a week.
Did not return because needed for a project. Looking for a reliable source of ropelight.

bert-nc

I haven't used it, but the Ican ropelight I got from Creative Displays Inc in the pre-season buys last year looks excellent. My plan is to Spray it whatever colors I need for my wireframes. I believe I have 300ft of it.

Back