Santa is sagging when outside but works fine inside

nellie54914

We have a Gemmy 12ft Santa that is about 5 years old. He had been standing up fine until we had high winds last week and he got a big tear on the underside of his feet. I sewed him up and put him back outside, but he'd only inflate about halfway and stay sagged over forward. I had not removed the stakes, just slipped the loops off when I took him down, so he was staked up the exact same way as before. There are several internal lights tat had fallen down at some point over the years and just rest at the bottom now so I thought something might have gotten tangled up inside that was limiting his movement. I brought him inside last night and plugged him in, he inflated just fine and stayed inflated all the way for the half hour I had him inside, no more sagging. So I took him back out and set him up, he inflated all the way only after he first fell backwards, then we stood him up. But he stayed inflated while we were out there. This morning went back out and he's sagging again. :( It don't think it's a tear/seam issue since it was staying inflated all the way inside (I wouldn't think the change from cold temp outside to warm inside would matter, would it?). Could it be something with the air flow beneath it? Maybe when I sewed it (was on the bottom/front part of the feet) it partially covered something, wood floor inside is fine but on grass there's not enough room underneath? I tried putting a piece of cardboard under him and undoing the tethers, but still the same sagging. Ideas?

I think you are correct that it is an airflow problem.
Try applying sealant or duct tape over your sewn area from the inside. You might also want to inspect the fan inlet to see if it sucked in any debris during the windstorm.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DaveMcK is pretty much right on. Sewing by itself is good, but under a bit of pressure (like the inside of the inflatable) air escapes not only the seam, but also the puncture holes from the sewing. Seal it and you should have better luck.

Also, once inflated (to whatever degree), check it over again. Sometimes smaller penetrations go unseen until under pressure.

And thank you for trying to repair and not just chuck it into the refuse bin.

We have used tent seam sealer with great results on our inflatables. Even with no tears the seams tend to loosen up over time and allow more air leakage then the fan can keep up with.

Ah, I have exactly the same problem. Bought a Santa Clause on sale last year and it turns out it has a tear. It doesn't get up unless I help it and then it stays up. I think once it is up there is enough pressure on the area where the leak is that it can stay up. However, when it is deflated the hole is bigger. I thought of using duct tape but I don't think that will last long. I was thinking of sawing it but I am afraid the threads will rip through. However, I am rethinking this because if you apply a tent seam sealer as @rcktpwrd suggested then it might actually hold it together quite well. Superglue might work, or not as possibly might "eat" through the material.

We have used tent seam sealer with great results on our inflatables. Even with no tears the seams tend to loosen up over time and allow more air leakage then the fan can keep up with.

I've done this too. But i use the sealer on the inside of the seams rather than the outside. This way the air pushes the sealer against the holes rather than trying to float it off like an air hockey table. Just turn the inflatable inside out and you can do it easily that way. Make sure it dries completely though before you outside-out it again.

I was thinking of sawing it but I am afraid the threads will rip through. However, I am rethinking this because if you apply a tent seam sealer as @rcktpwrd suggested then it might actually hold it together quite well. Superglue might work, or not as possibly might "eat" through the material.

Sew AND seal. Sew for strength, seal to stop airflow

Sew AND seal. Sew for strength, seal to stop airflow

Thanks. I will try that. I assume you use regular thread and needles as you use for cloths. Maybe go about 1/8-1/4" (so it doesn't rip through) into the material on each side and then apply the sealant.

We used regular thread and needle to sew up tears. We used thread that was similar in color to the area being repaired. Just pull the area together, maybe slightly overlap and run the thread 1/4" or so away from the tear, don't pull it too tight you don't want to bunch up the area and cause a weird shape...

I've done this too. But i use the sealer on the inside of the seams rather than the outside. This way the air pushes the sealer against the holes rather than trying to float it off like an air hockey table. Just turn the inflatable inside out and you can do it easily that way. Make sure it dries completely though before you outside-out it again.

That's a great idea! Some inflatables would be more difficult to turn inside out then others.
We haven't had any issues with the sealer being pushed off the seams and we applied it while the inflatable was on. Next time we need to do this we will try inside...

We used regular thread and needle to sew up tears. We used thread that was similar in color to the area being repaired. Just pull the area together, maybe slightly overlap and run the thread 1/4" or so away from the tear, don't pull it too tight you don't want to bunch up the area and cause a weird shape...

Thinking about it, regular thread should work just fine. When you fix clothes you throw them in the washer on a regular basis and it holds up just fine. I need to see if my inflatables have an access to the inside. They might so you can replace the bulbs. Then again, some are pretty cheap so there might be no such option.

Back