Sequence or Routine

Brad Riley

Hi all,

I,ve been building a sequence for my light show and seem to have trouble with all 32 ch showing. I don't mean the Sequence Preview window, rather the window a sequence is built in. Don't know if I'm dyslexic or what, but I have trouble doing it that way. I'm wondering if it would be easier to build individual routines for each channel through the length of the song and then use the "copy and paste" function? If so, do I assign the ch number that it will be in the sequence when building the routine?

Thanks,
Brad Riley 8)

Using my own brand of special dyslexia, I'm not entirely following the question...(get used to this from me)

Brad, I'm not sure if I've got it straight either.

Are you talking about being able to see all of your channels at once without having to scroll the window up/down, left/right.

If this is the case, read on, otherwise disregard this post.

If this is the case, adjust the COLUMN zoom & ROW zoom.
- If these options are not visible in your toolbar, goto TOOLBARS > DISPLAY SETTINGS, to turn them on. (V2.0.x onwards)

Hope it helps.

Cheers

I know my question is hard to understand, probably because I don't know what I am doing so I'm really not sure what to ask. ...I know, I can hear it now...Okay, this must be a hardware guy not a software guy. You would be right.
I'll try again. If I sequence up to 4 channels completely through a song can that be saved as a Routine and then using cut and paste inserted into the main sequence that will ultimately have 32 ch when completed. I seem to have better luck that way.
Or, should I be starting with a 32 ch sequence and sequencing 1 line or channel at a time. Brad

All you have to do is after you create your "mini" sequences set up your main sequence with the correct channel count and channel names save and close it, then go to the tools menu and select "copy sequence event data" select your "mini" sequence for the source and your main for the destination. Then you can map the channels accordingly. I think that'll help you do what you are lookin to do.

Brad,
I understand what you mean, I think.

Now as far as saving and entire sequence length of sequencing for up to 4 channels I think you would be better off saving it as a sequence and then copy and paste from each 4 channel sequence into the main 32 channel sequence. Thats if that is what works for you.

There is no right or wrong way to sequence. You have to do what works for you. And what works for you might not work for me and vice versa. With that being said I will tell you how I do it. I start off with all my channels in the sequence, 128 last year and 368 this year. At this point I have listened to the songs at least 100 times and not just listening to it but really listening and paying attention to the beat, instruments, vocals, changes, versus and anything else I can pick out of the song. I already have ideas of what I want to do with the display at each part of the song as I have the display mapped out as well. I start with a section of the song I like the most and sequence the channels for that part of the song. Once I have finished that section of song for those channels I go to the next area of the song I have ideas for and sequence the channels for that section. Now I am not sequencing all the channels in the sequence for each part, just the channels I know I want to use for that part. Once I have exhausted all my ideas I go back and watch the entire sequence. This gives me more ideas about areas that need more or less. I then go and fill in any blank areas as well as add to or take away from some parts.

I know, it seems overwhelming at 1st but if you just take it one section or channel at time it will go much easier.

Please also visit the Sequencing Tips page of the ChristmasWiki. There is a lot of good information there that will be helpful. There is a link at the top of every page of this forum to the wiki.

HTH,

You left out the part where after watching it for the 100th time in your sleep; you wake up at three in the morning and realize that it could be better if you just changed this one part. You then repeat the scenario for the next week. :roll: :)

Macrosill,

Between your explanation and Dan Ross's you guys nailed it for me. Thanks.
It's really comforting to know there is no right or wrong way to sequence. I was scared to death I would spend 20 or 30 hours on this song and find out I did it wrong.
I,m doing "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys. All the background singing and harminizing makes it tough for a first song...but, I'll get it.
Thanks again,
Brad

Ernie,

You must be doing something wrong if you have seen your sequence only 100 times in your sleep. I'm way beyond that and I'm a novice.

Brad

Brad,

Brian's recommendations are good ones. One additional comment for your consideration: I generally take one main item of my display and work out that item’s sequence over the entire song. This limits the number of alterations that need to be made in Vixen as you work through the initial tweaks. This also helps establish a foundation to build the other channels from.

For example this year I will have a dancing penguin that will be the feature item of one song. (The penguin is a total of 15 channels) I am currently working in Vixen on this song but am focused only on the penguin, no other lights have been included at this time. After I’m happy with his choreograph I will add in other items from my display to fill in the display.

I believe this is similar / same approach Brian is using yet wanted to draw you attention to this approach. For me it helps to reduce the complexity of creating a Vixen sequence.

Bill

Bill,

That's exactly what I am doing. 4 ch 's to the back-up singing only. No beat line or instruments on these 4 ch 's. Next I will do the beat to a couple different channels.

Thanks for your help,

Brad

Back