Serial Port Set up

maria

Hi everyone, I'm using Vixen 2, and I'm trying to use the Renard Dimmer (modified) plugin to send it to my controllers. When trying to choose a Serial port nothing pops up. I have a 3, 24 channel controller and I'm using a USB to a VGA connector I think it's called that goes to my controller. I have checked the wiring and such and nothing is loose or broken. My computer says that the com has no driver for the USB that's plugged in. Not sure what else to try? Does anyone have any information on how to get this fixed? I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and I am sorry if this was already posted I searched but I didn't see any regarding a solution to this certain problem.

Hi MikeKrebs, yes I think I meant to say RS485 to USB. I think I attached the picture of the connection but if not I will keep trying. Also is there a website to download a driver? I am using Windows 10.

Hi MikeKrebs, yes I think I meant to say RS485 to USB. Also is there a website to download a driver? I am using Windows 10. I can't seem to post a picture every time I click on the photo option it doesn't upload here and it's a Jpg.

I'm not familiar with any Renard equipment, but I'm just throwing my $.02 in. What computer do you have? If it's a pc, not a laptop, most motherboards have the RS232 (serial) port built in, which is far superior to any usb to rs-xxx adapter because RS232 typically uses higher voltages for communications. Usb is typically 5v and has to up convert the voltages and isn't as reliable. You just need a DB-9 ribbon cable. You might have to enable the port in your BIOS.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Serial-Motherboard-Header-Plate/dp/B001EHFV02/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_1/143-3750915-2279630?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001EHFV02&pd_rd_r=5cfaafd4-6a0a-4b88-8b81-ada10e8e01a3&pd_rd_w=QfMo2&pd_rd_wg=2yvbI&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=QPWPPKNFZTH4RZ42TNNH&psc=1&refRID=QPWPPKNFZTH4RZ42TNNH

Last edited:
Few if any newer PC's have a serial port. The USB to Serial or USB to RS485 is the way to go. If your PC doesn't recognize it, try going to the Manufacturers website to download a driver.

Back