Set Up Starts this Weekend!

TomL8345

It's Friday at about 2:30p - leaving home in a half hour to go pick up my rental JLG T350 to put the lights up on my house for this season!!!! Whoo Hoo!
Bucket Lift 640.jpg

I have a hard rule for myself.

No Christmas lights go up at my house until after the 11th of November.

Anyone with Military Service will understand why.

Fortunately, I don't need one of those any more to put up the lights on my home. I did when we lived in Idaho, and it was the most fun I have ever had putting up lights!! Have fun!!

Lights are on the house. All done. Working on staging the yard for after halloween

Same for me on the house and orchard and finished pre-staging everything for the yard last week. Had our first snowfall last week and even though it melted, I try to avoid any work at height in October due to frost and snow. It was not uncommon when my kids were young for them to go trick or treating in their snow suits and walk through 12" of snow on October 31st.

I have a hard rule for myself.

No Christmas lights go up at my house until after the 11th of November.

Anyone with Military Service will understand why.

Wouldn't you want to get done outdoors what you can earlier, though? Could you sequence Remembrance Day poppies on your pixels to justify it?

Wouldn't you want to get done outdoors what you can earlier, though? Could you sequence Remembrance Day poppies on your pixels to justify it?

I've considered a 6 foot poppy mounted to my garage door, never got around to building it.

My entire display has been developed and tweaked over the years and takes about 4 hours to put up and just over 2 hours to take down. My setup has gradual changes that gets added or removed as the years pass.

I will take a few pictures to show my setup and post them over the next few weeks.

-buried in conduit cat-5 runs between house/garage/flagpole
-buried in conduit power lines to breakout posts and gfci outlets
-buried concrete sono-tube bases holding pvc conduit which holds props posts (Pixel poles, and my new North Pole(2022 new prop))
-Flagpole converts to megtree, base ring is segmented octadecagon polygon made with 2 layers of 1x5 pine boards offset to create mounting points to hold together, 8" bungee cords create the tension and spacing for the 32 strands
-Star of Bethlehem sits on an old CB/TV mast mount to the back of my garage and is raised via hand winch
-Arches on collapsible 2x3 stud spacer mounts
-Window frames are aluminum angle stock mounted in windows with eye hooks and zipties
-Pixel-poles (candy poles) tube and pole mount

I'm basically done setting up for Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXCotOy08aU

I wanted the whole month to air the whole show, so I was setting up in September, and it was hot. And September was just plain too early to display Halloween colors, so up until September 29th, I was airing blue-on-top, gold-on-bottom pixels, for the Ukrainian flag colors. When September 29th rolled around, I just switched the sequence in software.

It's Friday at about 2:30p - leaving home in a half hour to go pick up my rental JLG T350 to put the lights up on my house for this season!!!! Whoo Hoo!
View attachment 46213

So how much does it cost to rent one of those machines? I've recently had some neck and lumbar spine issues/surgeries and I'm not cleared for ladder work. I wonder if I should try to budget one of those in next years plan...

Jimboha

PS I'm jealous of you all getting your shows started.

So how much does it cost to rent one of those machines? I've recently had some neck and lumbar spine issues/surgeries and I'm not cleared for ladder work. I wonder if I should try to budget one of those in next years plan...

Jimboha

PS I'm jealous of you all getting your shows started.

The price varies widely depending on where I rent it, but I paid $225 for the weekend. ($150/day @ 1 1/2 days)

Back