sharing this with everyone "the Squaris Wheel"

downsouth

I always love tinkering with homemade amusement rides. anything from downloading actual manuals from manufacturers so I can get a basic understanding how it was designed. Of course none of my projects are made from backward engineering but it does assist with what safety and build restriction rules that are factored in with such designs.

I found this PDF as I was searching for an actual ferris wheel I could build and children could interact with.

This is plans for a squaris wheel and it is made to be a fully functional ride. I thought I would share this.

Attachments

• SquarisWheel.pdf
    714.5 KB · Views: 279
I love this sort of stuff, thanks for posting. I am reading the (non-fiction) book Devil in the White City which follows the creation of the Chicago World Fair in honor of the 400th anniversary of Columbus coming to the Americas as well as the psychotic mass murderer who was running loose at the same time praying on (mostly) single females. The reason I bring it up is that they talk about Ferri's great wheel which he invented for the fair. The goal was to out Eifel Eifel's Tower that was unveiled a few years earlier at the Paris World Fair. A pretty ingenious idea and amazing American engineering considering how big it was, how many people could fit into each train car, and how nothing like it had ever been done (makes me want to find a book that maybe goes into more details on Ferris).

Looking through that issue brought back memories. I loved popular mechanics from that era. I saw one that showed how to build a hand crank leaf blower from cardboard.

That is awesome, I just learned some interesting history. It makes you think even something on a simple principle of wheel with free floating cars would be so complex. I know roller coasters have nothing to so with this topic, but that is crazy insane how inverted coasters were engineered. I have seen a few homemade one's that had me excited enough to maybe build one in my backyard for designing and developing into something maybe open source like popular mechanics would offer. (same with ferris wheels and any other rides)

...and to think I *almost* went to work for a roller coaster company...seemed like it might have been fun for a month or so at least.

Children can interact with? I'm hoping you mean "watch." I wouldn't even consider building anything that could lead to a huge lawsuit. I know dozens of NAARSO inspectors (ride inspectors) and manufacturers of childrens rides. I owned a event rental company for over ten years, know a bit about it. Whether kid powered or mechanically powered, you are looking at a huge amount of engineering, materials cost, safety features, etc.. Times are a bit different from those old pop sci magazines, etc. Today they are highly subject to inspection, certification, insurance regs and more. Just look at it with a cautious eye, not to be a downer or trash the idea.

Children can interact with? I'm hoping you mean "watch." I wouldn't even consider building anything that could lead to a huge lawsuit. I know dozens of NAARSO inspectors (ride inspectors) and manufacturers of childrens rides. I owned a event rental company for over ten years, know a bit about it. Whether kid powered or mechanically powered, you are looking at a huge amount of engineering, materials cost, safety features, etc.. Times are a bit different from those old pop sci magazines, etc. Today they are highly subject to inspection, certification, insurance regs and more. Just look at it with a cautious eye, not to be a downer or trash the idea.

Just to give a clear understanding about the plans, it's origin and it's contributors.

Popular Mechanics is where the plan came from, Popular mechanics plans are from mechanical engineers and all meet the safety standards of that time frame. No one rather it be private or public leaves their children unsupervised, unless for the obvious reasons such as abusive uncaring parents. I think we can all agree on this. Rather anyone takes the plans and use them is totally up to the forum member. If, you go to youtube will also discover how families are making such homemade rides and spend more time with their children because of it. There is always PROS and CONS to anything you do, even holiday lighting. You can be libel for causing a distraction to drivers on roads within sight of your display (given a case of an auto accident or traffic infraction). Even with the best of care from anyone doing holiday light shows may be unsafe unknowingly. So, also consider the same thing you are citing to me falls under the same as for holiday decorating period. Lightshow, static props, ect... electrical inspector, fire marshal, insurance are all under your liability as well. Can you say that you have enough dedicated circuits for your decor? can you provide all electrical permits that would be required under the same conditions proposed in your response? Did you hire an electrician to put up your props? I think you are seeing what I am driving home here on this.

My understanding of this forum was to share fun ideas, I have built homemade rides since 1978, I have a degree in electronics and electrical engineering with a mechanical engineering equivalent. The plans are sound as permitted by laws of the date Jul 1964. Even now in the 21st century the same engineering principles are exact. There is one exception, internet can have some jack legged plans that would likely kill someone, popular mechanics no... I just wanted to clarify, the misconception of my intent of posting plans or why I joined this forum. :)

Just to give a clear understanding about the plans, it's origin and it's contributors.

Popular Mechanics is where the plan came from, Popular mechanics plans are from mechanical engineers and all meet the safety standards of that time frame. No one rather it be private or public leaves their children unsupervised, unless for the obvious reasons such as abusive uncaring parents. I think we can all agree on this. Rather anyone takes the plans and use them is totally up to the forum member. If, you go to youtube will also discover how families are making such homemade rides and spend more time with their children because of it. There is always PROS and CONS to anything you do, even holiday lighting. You can be libel for causing a distraction to drivers on roads within sight of your display (given a case of an auto accident or traffic infraction). Even with the best of care from anyone doing holiday light shows may be unsafe unknowingly. So, also consider the same thing you are citing to me falls under the same as for holiday decorating period. Lightshow, static props, ect... electrical inspector, fire marshal, insurance are all under your liability as well. Can you say that you have enough dedicated circuits for your decor? can you provide all electrical permits that would be required under the same conditions proposed in your response? Did you hire an electrician to put up your props? I think you are seeing what I am driving home here on this.

My understanding of this forum was to share fun ideas, I have built homemade rides since 1978, I have a degree in electronics and electrical engineering with a mechanical engineering equivalent. The plans are sound as permitted by laws of the date Jul 1964. Even now in the 21st century the same engineering principles are exact. There is one exception, internet can have some jack legged plans that would likely kill someone, popular mechanics no... I just wanted to clarify, the misconception of my intent of posting plans or why I joined this forum. :)
Thank you!

Taking my response too literal. I've always been involved in multiple aspects of safety in various capacities, just want people to be safe when doing things. Probably came out as condescending. Not knocking your abilities or anything at all. Anyway, good luck.

Hi. I'm obviously late to the party here but wanted to contribute my direct experience with designer Bob Woolson's squaris wheel. As a child, the Woolsons and my family were next door neighbors for 10 years. Bob designed a number of amazing toys for his children, 3 or 4 of which made it into Popular Mechanics.
Safety was a HUGE concern for Bob. The squaris wheel specs reflect that up front, including the need for adult supervision, the sturdiness of the design, and custom locks to prevent children from operating it without a grownup.
I watched him build and assemble the original squaris wheel and was one of the first kids to try it out. It provided years of fun without injuries. Ditto for his other designs -- a series of electric cars and scooters and the Backyard & Birdbath train. In every case, Bob personally trained kids how to safely enjoy his creations.
I hope this helps.

its a shame in todays time that you would have to even think about a law suit for trying to give kids some form of entertainment OTHER than sitting on their kee-sters in front of the TV or PC playing games !
( makes a person wonder what this world has turned into )

Back