Shooting Star Icicle lights from Gemmy

Clyde L

This may be a long shot, but I got curious about these Shooting Star Icicle lights from BigLots. Hoping to crack the code on this. I don't know where to start though. It is hard to read the writing but I can post it here if anyone knows anything.
GP80599-2
TX85508-2
1209 (OR upside down 6021)
(backward)RUFW-5
(symbol for change) 94v-0
E171766

On the back side there is a repeat of the last to lines above^^^and
1211 (or upside down 1121)

These are pure white led's and only have 1 wire going into and out-of each "icicle" with 5 led's per icicle. Any Thoughts? Sorry these are not the best pics.
2013-05-06 21.54.13.jpg
2013-05-06 21.55.42.jpg

These are pure white led's and only have 1 wire going into and out-of each "icicle" with 5 led's per icicle. Any Thoughts? Sorry these are not the best pics.

What are you trying to do with them or figure out about them?

don

Well, I was a bit vague with my description lol. I want to hack and control them. I have a e682 along with a few other controllers.

the 2 wires in is likely 5VDC, there is no external control. The they are similar to FAST with each tube having a controller. you can split the string up into indivdual icicles (you'll probably have to add/splice wire on to them) and connect them to channel on a DCSSR supplying the proper voltage/current (the PS that came with it should work). that's probably going to be your easiest route.

Thanks Blue Note, but now I have more questions...

So what you're saying is each icicle may have it's own controller on the actual icicle board? I would have to splice into the wire and add a DC volt SSR which can be controlled. Ok, so the question is, how do I hook this up to a Ray 27 channel controller? Each icicle would need it's own channel and SSR right?

Where can I find a DC SSRs that are economical for this project? About how much am I looking at.

Without having these specifically I cannot say, but with only two wires coming in to each icicle which I am sure is power, the sound like FAST (search the wiki) or the GE icicle lights where each strip has some sort of "controller."

I am planning on doing something similar with the GE equivalent. I have a Renard 64xc and am using the dcssr from diyledexpress. Using this setup you cannot control the speed off the icicle fall, but when it is off or on. You can do one per channel or Provided you dont overload the channel on the controller you can connect more that one.

Last edited:
Great! I just saw Todd's post on the DIY LED Facebook page on the DCSSR kits. So I could test it out and see if the DC SSR will control multiple icicles, I would just have to randomize which SSR they are hooked up to.

thank you!

If you want to run these separately, the Ren48LSD might be a good choice for lighting these up. I'm guessing the current draw is way less than 400mA so that would work just fine.

Thanks Brian. How well does the Ren48LSD work with LOR S3 software? That is what drives my show.

I used four Ren48LSDs with LOR S3 last year so - - they work great! There's no native support for Renard/Serial so the easiest thing would be to put Renard/DMX code on the Ren48 and a DMX dongle (assuming your version of S3 has DMX support). Another option would be to use xLights and use it to actually run the show (LOR to sequence, xLights to run show) and stick with Renard/Serial. There are several options...

Will the Ren 48lsd hook up and and operate using the DIY LED EXPRESS DMX bridge?
http://http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=157
I have a huge order for Ray this year (first year RGB), and I'm already using the 27 and 3 channel Ray controllers, a few E682 + 6804, and some other DMX decoders I've picked up here and there. So this controller would need to hook up with the bridge. If not, I don't want to spend money on a DMX King when I don't have to.

Will the Ren 48lsd hook up and and operate using the DIY LED EXPRESS DMX bridge?
http://http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=157
I have a huge order for Ray this year (first year RGB), and I'm already using the 27 and 3 channel Ray controllers, a few E682 + 6804, and some other DMX decoders I've picked up here and there. So this controller would need to hook up with the bridge. If not, I don't want to spend money on a DMX King when I don't have to.

Yes the Ren48LSD will work with the bridge just fine in Renard or DMX mode.

Just wanted to chime in so I can follow this post. I have a lot of these GE icicle lights. My wife loves them. Right now I just control them with LOR, so all on or all off, but I would love better control over them. Being able to do a chasing pattern would be cool, and fit in better with my display. Good luck on getting this going, and I hope you keep us updated on the progress!

Without knowing anything about these, it *should* be easy to run a Cat5 to four of these back the LSD so 12 groups of four would be easy to set up. You just need to determine the voltage/current requirements of each 'cicle. Perhaps take a good close-up of the front/back and measure the voltage coming from the two wires in.

Free-Shipping-LED-Shooting-Star-Icicle-Light-String-Snow-Falling-Light-LED-Dripping-Icicle-Light.jpg

Is anyone devise a method for better securing these type of icicles with PVC pipe or some other product for easier installation? We and a strong storm last year and a lot of them came off the wire. I was just wondering if someone had already problem solved this issue. I was searching around the forums but haven't found information on mounting them.

Without having these specifically I cannot say, but with only two wires coming in to each icicle which I am sure is power, the sound like FAST (search the wiki) or the GE icicle lights where each strip has some sort of "controller."

I am planning on doing something similar with the GE equivalent. I have a Renard 64xc and am using the dcssr from diyledexpress. Using this setup you cannot control the speed off the icicle fall, but when it is off or on. You can do one per channel or Provided you dont overload the channel on the controller you can connect more that one.

Using this setup you cannot control the speed off the icicle fall, but when it is off or on. I need to be able t o make them fall faster. Here's why, please help. https://www.facebook.com/100000634028895/videos/1000884734169316/

Back