sound glitching

codec101

Using 3.8 build #1045 on an HP Omen gaming laptop, Windows 11. With headset plugged in and playing back audio / sequence in the editor I'm getting audio glitches. It will basically glitch out in my headset and play a split second on the laptops speakers then back to the headset. It's a wired gaming headset, works flawlessly in game and other programs.

Any ideas?

I can't imagine how this could be Vixen related. The current audio library doesn't even detect new audio devices except for when it first starts up. And you can only switch it manually. Does this happen with other apps?
Do you have other software open that might be using audio?

I can't imagine how this could be Vixen related. The current audio library doesn't even detect new audio devices except for when it first starts up. And you can only switch it manually. Does this happen with other apps?
Do you have other software open that might be using audio?

That's why it's throwing me for a loop. I can't imagine anything had been changed in relation to audio playback. It only happens in Vixen, no other apps open. Audio works just fine in Spotify, chrome, etc. It's only glitching during playback in Vixen.

Drivers are up to date.

Tried another headset, same result. Seems to work fine if using Bluetooth ear buds but I need it to work with my over-ear comfy headset :biggrin:

Bluetooth audio is effectively a different audio device. To use old fashioned terminology, it's a second sound card. That suggests something is odd with the one audio device. Does this PC automatically switch between headphones and speakers when you plug and unplug them? Does vixen show headphones and speakers as separate devices in the list?

We do have a new build with a completely new audio library currently in testing. It's a pretty invasive change and we didn't feel confident enough to put it out in the wild yet until we've run it thru its paces for a season amongst the team. But if you're having these issues, you might be a good candidate to take the risks and test it out with us.

Bluetooth audio is effectively a different audio device. To use old fashioned terminology, it's a second sound card. That suggests something is odd with the one audio device. Does this PC automatically switch between headphones and speakers when you plug and unplug them? Does vixen show headphones and speakers as separate devices in the list?

Right and it worked fine on the bluetooth audio device which leads me to think its got to do with how the audio library is interacting with windows and auto detecting that it's headphones.

Yes it auto switches and Vixen does show speakers and headphones (2 audio devices).

We do have a new build with a completely new audio library currently in testing. It's a pretty invasive change and we didn't feel confident enough to put it out in the wild yet until we've run it thru its paces for a season amongst the team. But if you're having these issues, you might be a good candidate to take the risks and test it out with us.

I would be willing to give it a shot. I back up everything anyway and can always revert back to my desktop if necessary.

I believe I found the culprit. I'll chalk it up to a Windows 11 bug. Although the "Enhance Audio" option was OFF in the sound properties, when I go into advanced settings for headphones, "enable audio enhancements" was still enabled. Disabling that clear it up and I can still reproduce it if I enable it again. I say Windows 11 bug as I was not able to reproduce the same issue on my desktop with the same headset running Windows 10.

Still scratching my head as to why only Vixen seemed to be affected by that but at least it's resolved.

We haven't done a lot of testing on windows 11 yet. I don't even own a PC that qualifies to upgrade.

Back