Splitting megatree in half for Morph Effect

TomsLEDs

Supporting Member
Trying to do this on my own. The only thing I could come up with was to add two 8 strand megatrees in the preview list and naming them megatree1-Left & megatree1-Right. I then went to my original meagtree properties and dragged strands 1 to 8 to the megatree1-left; then strands 9 to 16 to meagatree1-right . Saved and loaded a test sequence. The left or right side of the megatree lit up as planned when effects were placed on the sequence lines. Now the original tree no longer lights up. Thinking I could delete the original megatree, create a group of the two half's and then name the new group the same name as the original tree; or is there a better way?

Okay, so I went ahead and made the group and deleted the tree (but not before making a copy 1st in case I screwed it up). All working now. If I want the split trees to be in same place as the original tree for entire display group effects timing, will placing them adjacent to each other in the preview list be close enough? This is going to be fun when it is done.

Last edited:
i think the trick here is to use the same tree, but put it's strings into mulitple groupings. These are the same actual string groups, just multiple instances of them in different group heirarchies. There is only one preview object for the tree. No need to make a different preview object for the tree in the alternate grouping.

Tree1 (the main full tree)
--Tree1 String 1
--...thru...
--Tree1 String 16

Tree1Halves
--Tree1LeftHalf
----Tree1String1
----Tree1String8
--Tree1RightHalf
----Tree1String9
----Tree1String16

I thought that was I was doing when I assigned Tree 1's strings to the new 1/2 trees. I did not create a new preview object, just new elements in the list. When I clicked on the tree's linked elements page, I dragged the strings of the new elements one at at time. But then the original Tree does not show up, unless I grouped and renamed it.

Megatree 1 split left.png

How I create the two groups of my mega tree, is to expand the original mega-tree in the Elements Tree in either the Preview Setup or Display setup. Next select the strings that make up the first half using shift click so that they are all highlighted. Then right mouse click and select "Create Group" from the context menu.

Got the trees up this weekend and did a live run of my into sequence, but nothing played on the trees. Somehow the preview changes I made deleted all the patching on the controller page. I manually repatched them and all is good now.

Back