SSR board Cat5 cable distance?

Dpdigital

What is the typical allowable distance that an SSR board (triac based with optocouplers) can be located away from the controller board?

I'm trying to put my design together using an Arduino as a controller with basic SSR boards distributed to the various controlled circuits locations as I have pretty good power distribution already. Using 8 channel SSR boards with RJ45 connectors and connected using Cat5 cables back to the controller, how far away can I put my SSR boards?

There is no "typical" standard distance.
What you can find are members who have gotten say 50 ft in their situation. Past that you may find it works but it may become less reliable. It can also depend on factors like being near interfering power cables. But some may have experienced difficulties with 25 ft - so it depends on your situation, and the pulse frequency used for your SSRs.

That can be true for RS485. But for "TTL" type signals it isn't "typical". Ethernet drivers work for say 90 meters (300 ft). So there are means to go further but will require line drivers/receivers of some sort.

I have no issues with either the LED or incan lights and dim-ability. I do use the PWM mode (for led support) and very low light levels act the same on the long cable as they do on the short (3m) cables. I do not have any flicker on either.

Back