STF20NF06 for the DCSSR's

smartalec

Digi-Key is a reliable company, though they're prices are typically higher then Mouser. They're located just north of me. I believe they started out as a hobbyist type company. We use them at work because they can deliver high quantity in a short time. At work, time is money so the cost is more irrelevant.

The Chinese company I've never heard of.

On your side of the pond, you might also check out Farnell. They're know as Newark on this side. Again they're a bit high. Their search engine is one of the worst so I use Goggle to find what I need. Another one I use at work.

mouser wants 30bucks just for postage, but dont have that part, but they do have the subute part of FQPF13N06L going fotr like 58bucks for 100 of them.
the postage is what i dont like

Digi-Key is a reliable company, though they're prices are typically higher then Mouser. They're located just north of me. I believe they started out as a hobbyist type company. We use them at work because they can deliver high quantity in a short time. At work, time is money so the cost is more irrelevant.

On your side of the pond, you might also check out Farnell. They're know as Newark on this side. Again they're a bit high. Their search engine is one of the worst so I use Goggle to find what I need. Another one I use at work.

I have some STP40NF10L coming in.
Breif Spec
# Max Voltage Vds:100V
# Transistor Case Style:TO-220
# Cont Current Id:40A
# Max Voltage Vgs th:2.5V
# On State Resistance @ Vgs = 4.5V:0.035ohm

AU $77 per 100 delivered.

is that throu mouser or another mob?
thanks

I have some STP40NF10L coming in.
Breif Spec
# Max Voltage Vds:100V
# Transistor Case Style:TO-220
# Cont Current Id:40A
# Max Voltage Vgs th:2.5V
# On State Resistance @ Vgs = 4.5V:0.035ohm

AU $77 per 100 delivered.

has anyone ever tryed doing a coop for the fets, since getting over 1000 makes them even cheaper, an that would only be like 10 people wanting 100 each

Digikey = higher price... lower shipping.

There's a curve here so that if you are dealing with smaller orders, they are actually cheaper than Mouser. But very quickly the cost savings at mouser will add up to save you more thank the higher shipping charge(s). I've used both and consider both to be reliable (though I will never use Mouser's USPS shipping again as my parts took so long to get here that even Mouser thought they were lost, so sent me replacement parts).

Digikey = higher price... lower shipping.

There's a curve here so that if you are dealing with smaller orders, they are actually cheaper than Mouser. But very quickly the cost savings at mouser will add up to save you more thank the higher shipping charge(s). I've used both and consider both to be reliable (though I will never use Mouser's USPS shipping again as my parts took so long to get here that even Mouser thought they were lost, so sent me replacement parts).

thats not bad if you get 2 lots of parts for the price of one..lol

thats not bad if you get 2 lots of parts for the price of one..lol

In the end I *did* get two sets (and offered to pay for both). But I lost a lot of time waiting ... and waiting... and waiting. The so called "tracking" system was a joke, as there was a record that USPS had been told about the package, and that was it. No further records in the database until it arrived at my door weeks later (three days after the overnight rushed replacement parts arrived).

I will certainly deal with Mouser again (and have)... I just won't use the Parcel Post option anymore. :)

OK it looks like i might need help from the experts here for a substitute parts.
im guessing the trigger voltage or the resistance might make a problem or 2

RFS640 MOSFET 0.18 Ohm 18A 200V N-channel TO-220IS-3 IRFS640

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-1406/mosfet-POWER-MOSFET-N-dsh-CH/Detail

STP55NF06 MOSFET 18 mOhm 50A 60V N-channel TO-220-3 STP55NF06

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-1418/mosfet-POWER-MOSFET-N-dsh-CH/Detail

this one sounds simular
N-channel 60V - 0.06Ω - 20A - TO-220/TO-220FP STripFET™ II Power MOSFET

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/11035/stp20nf06.htm

Question, what am i realy looking for?? the trigger pin, or the amps an volts it can handle?

it seemed like a easy task to start off with, now i think i might be in over my head.

Please Help..

Last edited:
Im guessing i would need different resistors when using the different type of mosfets.

I cant belive for something so easy, it's turning into a hard challange for me.

If you are happy to wait until the Melb Mini, we can probably sit down and go through your options and what needs to be considered when designing or moding a cct.

The areas requiring attention for the FETs are:
Ron
Id
Vgs

The series resistors on the gate are not that critical.

if they still work with the DCSSR design done by Wjohn, i could wait, at the moment im in the stock pileing boards an get the parts later on.
i thought it wouldn't be as easy as a different mosfet an resistor.
thanks for offering your help matt.

If you are happy to wait until the Melb Mini, we can probably sit down and go through your options and what needs to be considered when designing or moding a cct.

The areas requiring attention for the FETs are:
Ron
Id
Vgs

The series resistors on the gate are not that critical.

Futurlec have the BUZ71 Mosfet. It has similar ratings except it's only 14A unit and the tab is not isolated.
It is in my Aussie BOM list for John's DCSSR which i was going to build this time last year but never got around to checking if they actually worked . In fact everything in my list is from Futurlec.

Have you tried Farnell and RS Components at all?

Main thing i noticed with the BUZ71 is
rDS(ON) = 0.100Ω

where the STF20NF06 is
rDS(on) = 0.06 Ω

i think i'll wait till after the melb mini , when the experts are able to spend time working it all out for us.

Futurlec have the BUZ71 Mosfet. It has similar ratings except it's only 14A unit and the tab is not isolated.
It is in my Aussie BOM list for John's DCSSR which i was going to build this time last year but never got around to checking if they actually worked . In fact everything in my list is from Futurlec.

Have you tried Farnell and RS Components at all?

Farnell is great with speed an postage but charge for it.
an RS Componets dont have the part

in the wiki there is a suggested replacement for the STN20NF06. why isn't anyone considering that one?

"RFD14N05L, as part # 512-RFP14N05L"

in the wiki there is a suggested replacement for the STN20NF06. why isn't anyone considering that one?

"RFD14N05L, as part # 512-RFP14N05L"

have you checked the suggested part, thats out of stock like the orginal part
so it makes it a bit hard

oh sorry i didn't see that. i could have sworn i saw it as just out of stock. obviously not !!

Back