Take My Drum & Beat It

IdunBenhad

Hi:
The other day I was told to 'Take My Drum and Beat It'. As I was not exactly sure what that meant and because I didn't have a drum, I made one. (For display purposes only.)

The base material is 1/2" aluminum foil backed insulation board available in 4x8' sheets from Lowes, Home Depot and other building material supply companies.

The pattern for the drum is drawn on the back of the board, which is paper backed.

I used a quilt frame my wife had for the ellipse needed for the drum top. The same frame was used for the bottom curve. The top and bottom were then connected with straight lines.

The bracing was then drawn in and that completed the pattern for the drum.

The outside perimeter, including the top ellipse was then measured and this measurement divided by 100. This results in the spacing between each bulb, in this case the Amber lights around the outside. These are marked all the way around the pattern.

The braces are then measured and spacing calculated in the same manner. These are then marked on the braces.

Using a sharp tool, such as an Awl or Ice Pick, punch each mark from the back, making sure it goes through the foil on the front. Then, using a larger punch, punch each hole from the front. This punch should be slightly smaller than the bulb socket. I tried to drill the foam, but it didn't work out too good for me.

Once all holes have been punched, cut and mount 1x2 strips of wood on the back I used Liquid Nails and glued the strips on. This stiffens the board, which tends to warp, it provides some "space" for the wiring and a way to mount the board to a wall. Put weight on the 1x2 strips while they are drying, and give them plenty of time to set.

When the glue is set, starting inserting the bulbs from the rear.

The 100 count blue bulbs had to be split into 2 strings of 50 each and then rejoined with some pieces of wire. There were some left over bulbs and these were just tucked away. They make good spares. If a bulb burns out, replace it with a spare and put the dead one back into the spare socket. The string keeps burning that way.

The drumsticks are 50 bulbs each. I split a 100 count string and then wired each drumstick as a separate channel. The drum and its braces are one channel. The braces could have been wired as a channel, but I was out of channels.

50 count strings could have been used for the drumsticks and braces, but splitting a 100 count string is cheaper than buying four 50 count strings.

Because it rarely rains here in Yuma, AZ, I cannot say how the boards will hold up in snow or rain. I know they are not as durable as coraplast. I made two bells from this material last year and I will use them again this year. They held up very well in the sun and wind.

I would not recommend beating this drum, so I am going to stay where I am.

Attachments

• IMG_8590a.jpg
    IMG_8590a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8591a.jpg
    IMG_8591a.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 153
Back