This is why we fuse everything.....

DrNeutron

Display has been running since December 1st with a few small hiccups (one tripped GFCI), this was actually amazing considering it has been raining for a week or more....
Took dog for a walk as I always do around 8PM and walked past the 8 or 9 cars parked enjoying the show when I received a frantic call from my wife about 15 minutes into my walk. A lady came to the front door to tell her my talking tree was on fire! I ran home and the show was still playing along (pixels and dumb RGB were fine) but the 6ft talking tree was dark (AC, made out of led rope light). I quickly took a flash light but could not see anything burnt and no damage to house. I let the sequence finish and shut everything down. I took a ladder out and climbed up to detach the tree and this is what I found:
burned_wire_shrunk.jpg
Thank God I had the SSR fused.....fuse blew and all I lost was a section of LED rope light.
Guys may think it is a waste of money to fuse things with a small load (in this case it was a 6ft section of rope light, can't get much smaller than that for draw), but when the experienced electricians and electrical engineers on this forum (of which I am not, just a computer geek) recommend you follow some general safety guidelines it is a good idea to do so.....
I just want to say I am grateful for the insights from the professionals on this forum and a huge Thanks for showing newbs like me the safe way to enjoy this hobby.

I'm with you.

I fuse every element of my display.
That is every single light strand, every single candy cane, every single snowfall tube, every AC input to a controller and every single SSR.
I believe in pushing the failure point out to the smallest possible segment of my display.
For one thing it helps keep the display running in the event of a failure and two it provides the maximum amount of safety.
This is one reason I've purchased the fused SPT plugs that have been on group buy. It allows me to fuse anything built with that wire.

Last edited:
You can never over protect with fuses. I keep a selection of axial leaded fuses around for various projects, they come in a variety of ratings from 0.1 to 10 amps and in either fast or slow blow, and I just splice them in anywhere needed and cover them with heat-shrink, the $1 to $2 these types of fuses cost is cheap compared to a fire or injury.

Been reading through some of these posts for awhile and I get the impression that not all on here understand that fuses are for over current/load protection of equipment and that GFCI's are for people protection, and will not always trip if there is a fault. in other words the GFCI's do not replace FUSES........

I was looking to stock up on spare fuses for my new Renard SS16. Looking at the BOM, it looked like it came with "fast burn" fuses, but most stock fuses I'd find at a local store are "slow burn" fuses. Simple Google research seems to lean towards fast burn for our use case, but I'm not sure how stressed to be about this. Like the OP, I want to be safe and do the right thing.

Am I crazy, or are fast burn fuses easier to find than my experience? Is it worth paying for the shipping to get the fast burn fuses?

Maybe you found this, the fast or general fuse are the same thing so they should be standard items, I use to pay about $3.50 for a box of five for 250volt rated fuses........

Fuses chart.png

Resurrecting this post (hope that's ok).

Are there any recommended parts and places to source parts for both AC and DC fuses, fuse-blocks, etc.?

For DC, I was going to use in-line ATO fuses (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CVPE8C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) where appropriate but didn't know what to use on the AC side. Amazon had some options but they were questionably expensive so I assume I can save some dough but going through a place like Mouser.

I actually like the ATO style fuses but those are DC only right? For AC I need to use the glass tubes?

Basically my plan was for my Renard TR16 setup, not worry about it since it already has AC glass fuses on both sides.

For DC, I was going to do something like:

AC -> AC Fuse -> DC PSU -> DC Fuse -> Controller

Since the E1.31 already has fuses on the DC side, I was thinking of just adding an AC fuse there. But my Ren4floods have none of that. I figure at minimum to use the above idea, but wasn't sure if each channel output also needed a fuse? I wasn't going to worry about that for my flood lights as the LEDs and boards are all contained in the same enclosure, but I will be using ren4floods for some coro trees.

Also good places to source glass tube an ATO fuses? Just the local hardware store and auto parts stores?

Resurrecting this post (hope that's ok).

Are there any recommended parts and places to source parts for both AC and DC fuses, fuse-blocks, etc.?

For DC, I was going to use in-line ATO fuses (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CVPE8C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) where appropriate but didn't know what to use on the AC side. Amazon had some options but they were questionably expensive so I assume I can save some dough but going through a place like Mouser.

I actually like the ATO style fuses but those are DC only right? For AC I need to use the glass tubes?

Basically my plan was for my Renard TR16 setup, not worry about it since it already has AC glass fuses on both sides.

For DC, I was going to do something like:

AC -> AC Fuse -> DC PSU -> DC Fuse -> Controller

Since the E1.31 already has fuses on the DC side, I was thinking of just adding an AC fuse there. But my Ren4floods have none of that. I figure at minimum to use the above idea, but wasn't sure if each channel output also needed a fuse? I wasn't going to worry about that for my flood lights as the LEDs and boards are all contained in the same enclosure, but I will be using ren4floods for some coro trees.

Also good places to source glass tube an ATO fuses? Just the local hardware store and auto parts stores?

Hello folks,

I might be able to shed some light on this fuse situation. I've spent 30+ years as an electrician. Here's what the National Electrical Code has to say in regards to fuse type. Use a fuse that is rated for the VOLTAGE you are using. I.E. NO, don't use 36v automotive fuses for 120v AC. YES, you CAN use GLASS fuses rated for high voltage on LOW voltage.

Most AGC style "glass" fuses are rated up to 250v and probably the MOST common fuse and least expensive. Slo-blow vs. fast-blow. Hmmmm ... no, only use FAST BLOW. Slo-blow fuses are used to absorb some current inrush and generally are on motors which require that little bit of extra to get spinning. Fast blow fuses for everything else and they are usually cheaper too.

Hundreds of control panels I've worked on, later, it's the same. Current is a consistent factor based on voltage. Ohms Law. Fuses are rated for amperage and MAXIMUM operating voltage. Low voltage is less than 50v - High voltage is greater than 50v (doesn't count the overhead power lines from 7.2 to 34.5kv - some of us call it DEAD voltage if it ever bites you).

Regarding SIZE of fuse. The NEC is clear you want to protect the wire size you are using. Over current devices protect the wire. NEC Article 310, NEC Table 310.16 is pretty clear on this subject. Overloaded conductors are the primary cause of fires and failure. What you will not see are the smaller wires under #18 ... there are other tables in my trade that allow for over loading conductors in control cabinets ONLY. Go figure. Seasoned electricians don't do that.

Here's a good table, pretty clear too: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

This is an example.

If you want to protect the LIGHT or DEVICE you are using, there are several ways using OHM's Law to determine what sort of current interruption you need. Want to protect a 100w lamp at 120v? 1A fuse because 1a x 120v = 120w (there are allowances up to 125%) ... lamp goes bad or breaks? either the fuse remains intact (bad lamp) or opens because the lamp shorted out.

Dr. Neutron:

I noticed in the picture all that tape around the connection. I would only wonder how long it had been taped? Done for waterproofing? Moisture will get under the tape, corrodes the contacts - the contacts create resistance - the resistance causes heating - eventually the contacts fail. The photo tells me that damage was mostly from overheating caused by trapped moisture corroding the contacts. Rope light, 2 little pins and a nut? The tape covered up the pending failure. The first clue was the tripped GFCI - Good man! U used the safety tools!

This brings me to the next important point.

INSPECT all wires, connections and cords for damage BEFORE you use them. Those wires have been sitting around for awhile ... maybe they are getting old ... brittle? Maybe you missed it last year and have a bare conductor now. Visually inspect for DISCOLORATION around sockets and plugs. If they show any sign of brown and/or cracking (sunlight fading doesn't count) it usually means it is time to either repair or retire that unit.

Many years doing seasonal lighting and I've never taped light connections and when I do, I use rubber tape or a high quality tape such as 3M #33 or #88 tape. I take them apart (when necessary or possible) after the season so the connectors can dry out naturally. This also ensures you EXERCISE the connector. It rubs together and can provide a better connection in spite of its age. My oldest trick (wd-40) using NEWLY available materials to keep connections in good condition is to use silicon gel. Available at your local auto parts store as "SPARK PLUG BOOT GREASE" Get a BIG tube - it's cheap enough. It doesn't conduct, allows for proper contact and helps displace moisture and adds water resistance to the metal contact surfaces to retard any oxidation or corrosion. It does not interact with plastics like petroleum products.

Not so much with your AC power plugs and sockets but for things like low voltage and rope light or any other small pinned connection.

It has also helped some of these cheap barrel connectors slide together easier. Keep a rag with you - first time around can get messy on the fingers.

Vampire Plugs and Sockets: Silicon GEL or Silicon caulk of which some of us prefer the ladder. Either one is messy but caulk can help add some strain relief and keep those little teeth dry and healthy for years to come. We apply a liberal amount in the wire channel and then mash it onto the wire, slide the cover on and POOF! Pretty well protected plug or socket.

Bit of information: less than 5 MILLIAMPS at 120v can kill you. That's 0.005 amps. Screw the fuse - it'll be happy to keep frying you.

If I had a choice between 120v and 240v ... I rather grab a 240v wire first. 120v sort of grabs you ... 240v will throw you.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use Ground Fault protection! There are people in their graves who wish they did.

Moved into a new home? Older home? No visible signs of GFCI outlets for outdoors? TWO ways to do it. Call an electrician to install the proper device. Buy a GFCI protected outlet. We use these on job sites. It is a cord to a GFCI outlet. Plug in the outlet and then plug in your cords. In the weather? Think "Constant Use" cover for your outlets. My outlets are outside however none are directly exposed to the elements. I can use a GFCI outlet and simple snap covers (spring loaded door).

TEST your GFCI outlet(s) and/or BREAKERS - if in doubt, call your local electrician for an evaluation. I use 2 pole GFCI breakers and they are tested October and December (my GFCI tester is a hospital grade service device). GFCI testers WORK and are available in most electrical departments. If you have a GFCI breaker protecting the outdoor outlet, get a GFCI tester and test AT THE OUTLET . This verifies your wiring also (a bonus tip).

Mixing of wires. Low voltage and high voltage don't play nice together. I read where someone used regular 120v NEMA 5-15 plugs and sockets on LOW VOLTAGE LED strips – yup, crossed the wires and all his strips glowed “RED” for about 10 seconds along with some hideous sounds of bacon frying. There went about $1000 UP IN SMOKE … if I recall correctly. $50 in the right parts = $1000+ in savings – not a bad investment idea.

Don’t go on the cheap – don’t get impatient. Get the right stuff and do it right – it is allot less expensive in the end.

Most wire insulation today is rated at >300v. This is good. Cat5? READ THE JACKET. CL1 or CL2 means >300v insulation and good for IN-WALL use. If in doubt, keep them separated. At the very least ... keep low voltage connections away from high voltage connections - this can help prevent a bad ground loop from frying your electronics. The smallest AC power leak could be just low enough to NOT TRIP the Ground Fault protection – 1 or 2 milliamps is enough to fry electronics. Connector distance is key to help minimize this potential. Don’t go bundling up 120v connections (plugs/sockets) with low voltage jacks and connectors – if exposed to water, that can be a recipe for disaster.

GENERALLY ... crossing low and high voltage cables is OK ... and I mean crossing as in an "X" sort of way. This reduces coupling EMI or RFI - not a terrible thing if they do have to run parallel ... space them if practical. DMX is RS-485 and actually used in industrial automation as Profibus or Modbus or just RS-485. Ethernet cable usually doesn't suffer any cross talk either. There are always exceptions for noise - nothing a homeowner would ever encounter. Like a 4000hp 5kv motor - that sort of extreme stuff.

HEAT SHRINK: It's really good stuff. One point. If it is going to be used to waterproof something, use the DOUBLE WALL shrink tube. It has a glue inside the tube which bonds to the wire(s) ... get it good and warm ... it oozes a bit ... then (with a glove) before it cools, gently press it around the wire(s). This method is used and approved for underground direct burial cable repairs. It works wonders for keeping connections secure and highly moisture resistant. There is also another benefit. Double wall shrinks to ONE THIRD its original size. Single wall only reduces to ONE HALF its original size and is NOT waterproof. I pay about $1 more for double wall – and it is worth every penny having that peace of mind. Hey – it also comes in COLORS including CLEAR!

Want to cap some wires? Use double wall shrink tubing! Cut the piece about 40-50mm … let the end hang over the end of the wire(s) about 15-20mm … heat it up properly and while it is still hot, use a pair of pliers to seal the end. Shazam! Water proofed and insulated end. MOST heat shrink tubing has an insulation rating of 250v or higher. When doing multiple wires in one piece, cut one wire just about 5-10mm shorter than the other to avoid potential shorting. Multiple wires: Stagger them and use a length of tubing to cover them all and leave enough to squeeze it closed. It would be inadvisable to bundle more than 3 conductors.

I hope your head isn’t swimming with OH GAWD or WELCOME TO MARS or worse A DEER STARING IN THE HEADLIGHTS. Given the right circumstances, low voltage can be just as dangerous as high voltage.

Protect you and yours with the power of KNOWLEDGE.

Thanks for your time and I hope someone finds this information useful.

I’ve powered over 10kw of lighting at my own home.
This is how I’ve done holiday lighting for years without any problems.

Make it BEAUTIFUL! Make it safe!

Happy Holidays!

Eddie

Last edited:
Awesome post RGB_Mixer, very informative!

FYI, on this point " I noticed in the picture all that tape around the connection. I would only wonder how long it had been taped? Done for waterproofing? Moisture will get under the tape, corrodes the contacts - the contacts create resistance - the resistance causes heating - eventually the contacts fail. The photo tells me that damage was mostly from overheating caused by trapped moisture corroding the contacts. Rope light, 2 little pins and a nut? The tape covered up the pending failure. The first clue was the tripped GFCI - Good man! U used the safety tools!
Unfortunately, the LED rope light I purchased had power connectors that were not rated for outdoors. To combat this, I used liquid tape around the connections, then applied rubberized tape (used all the time when installing satellite ORU's) and wrapped with black electrical tape (this is just to hold the rubberized tape in place until it sets). Somehow, water must have gotten in or maybe I was a little too rough when mounting the tree and caused a short. I am just happy the fuse did its job before anything bad could happen.
Here is one question maybe you could answer.
Looking at the Tree later on I realized it was not on an SSR from my Ren32 (in which all SSR's are fused as well) but on an old LOR box. The 30 amp fuse blew on the controller but the GFCI did not trip.
This is undoubtedly why the wire fried like it did. Why wouldn't the GFCI have tripped before the fuse blew? Is it because the fuse reacted faster? I have since tested the GFCI and it works fine (tomato cage mini trees are fun.....NOT) :biggrin:

Definitely helpful info! But the question still remains - where do I go to find inline fuses or, I suppose, preferably a fuse patch cable of sorts I can just stick on an extension cable?

My Renard controllers have fuses on board, so I'm less worried about those. I'd like to fuse the AC side of my DC supplies for my pixel tree and flood lights. They'll have fuses on the DC side but that still leaves open a chance of bad things if, say, metal somehow bridged the terminals or something (really low change but I'd like to be thorough)

Definitely helpful info! But the question still remains - where do I go to find inline fuses or, I suppose, preferably a fuse patch cable of sorts I can just stick on an extension cable?

My Renard controllers have fuses on board, so I'm less worried about those. I'd like to fuse the AC side of my DC supplies for my pixel tree and flood lights. They'll have fuses on the DC side but that still leaves open a chance of bad things if, say, metal somehow bridged the terminals or something (really low change but I'd like to be thorough)

There is a fine line between being cautious and over-cautious.

Agreed, fusing the AC side is a good idea so if the PS takes a crap you don't take down everything - good logic. However! Gotta love exceptions! ALL switching power supplies have their own internal fuse mounted to the circuit board ... I've repaired quite a few units (bad caps cause AC overloads) and you'd never notice the fuse on the board unless you've been doing repairs for awhile. I have YET to toss any LCD monitor or TV because it died. Fix the power supply, replace the fuse with the EXACT part and it's a happy camper again. I usually fix these sort of things for friends and family. $1000 TV saved with a handful of capacitor(s) and a new fuse. Cost? Go buy a SIX PACK! I use many switching power supplies and have yet to find one that isn't internally fused.

I believe fuses are required to get a "UL" or "CSA" sticker - otherwise a failed power supply could easily cause a fire. I don't care where they are made, one bad cap or MOSFET could easily destroy the entire unit so fuses are integral to the units today. YEARS ago we used transformers (some really HEAVY ones), diodes and filter capacitors for DC. You had to fuse the PRIMARY because it had no protection. Technology has advanced quite allot from the "OLD DAYS".

I wouldn't worry about the AC side of the power supplies at all. Just don't overload the extension cords. That is key to a happy power supply. MOST power supplies have a FINGER GUARD that helps protect those 120v terminals. Honestly, if something gets in there that shorts the Line and Neutral, it got there because it wasn't suppose to be there and/or wasn't properly protected to begin with. Let the circuit breaker handle it. That's why they are there.

Once that cover is closed, that is all the protection you should ever need. If you need additional peace of mind - put a padlock on the cover.

I've never fused switching power supplies. I know they are already fused. Protected from overload and output shorts. It is part of their primary function. Short their outputs and it will shut down and stay that way until the AC power is cycled on again.

Rest assured you are covered. Your concern is valid and I hope I've shed some light on this.

If you still feel strong about fuses - get some inline fuse holders rated for 250v usually a hard plastic or bakelite and has #16 or larger wires on them. Splice it to the HOT side inside the controller box. Fused at 125% to allow for current inrush on startup. Here is where Slo-blow fuses are used. Some math using Ohm's Law and choose the closest fuse, never going lower so go to the next highest 'standard' size. Some of these power supplies have a pretty high current inrush. I pissed off my circuit breaker a few times (Square D, fastest breaker on the planet) and eventually had to STAGGER start them or put them on separate circuits. I staggered them because I had the parts to do that and it made it easy to use for OTHER shows where I might not have extra circuits available.

Happy Holidays!

Eddie

Ah I didn't think about internal fuses on PSUs. Is that true too of the laptop power supplies many folks around here (including me) might be using for the DIYC floods? The other DC supplies I'm using are 2 12V waterproof ones and a 12V for the E682 (I believe all from diyledexpress). I would imagine those have internal fuses.

Still, I'm surprised I can't find more in-line options. It's not like a glass fuse is expensive and the expected load is known for everything. Certainly it'd be easier to replace than having to open up a PSU (though hopefully they use the resettable fuses).

Anyways thanks for the info!

Awesome post RGB_Mixer, very informative!

FYI, on this point " I noticed in the picture all that tape around the connection. I would only wonder how long it had been taped? Done for waterproofing? Moisture will get under the tape, corrodes the contacts - the contacts create resistance - the resistance causes heating - eventually the contacts fail. The photo tells me that damage was mostly from overheating caused by trapped moisture corroding the contacts. Rope light, 2 little pins and a nut? The tape covered up the pending failure. The first clue was the tripped GFCI - Good man! U used the safety tools!
Unfortunately, the LED rope light I purchased had power connectors that were not rated for outdoors. To combat this, I used liquid tape around the connections, then applied rubberized tape (used all the time when installing satellite ORU's) and wrapped with black electrical tape (this is just to hold the rubberized tape in place until it sets). Somehow, water must have gotten in or maybe I was a little too rough when mounting the tree and caused a short. I am just happy the fuse did its job before anything bad could happen.
Here is one question maybe you could answer.
Looking at the Tree later on I realized it was not on an SSR from my Ren32 (in which all SSR's are fused as well) but on an old LOR box. The 30 amp fuse blew on the controller but the GFCI did not trip.
This is undoubtedly why the wire fried like it did. Why wouldn't the GFCI have tripped before the fuse blew? Is it because the fuse reacted faster? I have since tested the GFCI and it works fine (tomato cage mini trees are fun.....NOT) :biggrin:

Interesting thought ... tomato cage.

Here's a pretty simple picture how GFCI works: http://www.nationshomeinspections.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/blog-GFCI-1c.jpg

GFCI devices are 'differential' sensors. In the simplest way: current must flow equally in both directions for the GFCI outlet to remain ON. As soon as it detects one side is higher or lower than the other, POP goes the weasel!

Here's an interesting fact. I can hold any HOT wire all day long and never trip a GFCI. WHY? Well, why do it at all? Point is: I will be at the same potential as long as I am NOT GROUNDED anywhere, current will not flow. That picture shows the GREEN GROUND. That is your body grounded somewhere and current wants to flow to ground. That's why birds perch on wires and never get fried. GFCI devices sense this deviation >3-4milliamps and open the circuit.

There are volumes of techno babble in regards to the hows and whys.

Another interesting fact: I can put a 2 conductor live extension cord protected by a GFCI device into a PLASTIC bucket of water and that GFCI will NOT trip. You stand a better chance tripping the circuit breaker first. NOW ... do the same thing with a 3 conductor extension cord, properly grounded at the outlet ... POP! There was current deviating from the HOT to GROUND, not back to the NEUTRAL. I would venture to say MOST people with GFCI problems are due to 3 wire cords becoming saturated and conducting enough current to trip the GFCI.

In a 2 wire situation, if there was a strong enough path to ground, the GFCI would have tripped. Hospitals, for instance (and memory serves me correctly) has a maximum trip of <3.5 milliamps for GFCI devices. Hospital grade devices outdoors? I think most people would loose their minds because that GFCI is too sensitive. There is extremely detailed information to current vs live wire exposure tables and tons of research paper. All comes down to the device is designed to protect PEOPLE from potentially lethal exposure to electric.

It sounds like you took the time to do it right - good precaution - rubber tape under vinyl - self vulcanizing.

You mentioned it is an LED rope? It needed some sort of power control then. Voltage and current limiting. That could be why it has such a big hole in it. That part of the connection had the components in it, it failed and burned up and during that time it shorted out across the hot and neutral which took out the fuse. Triacs are pretty forgiving on high current for fractions of a second. If there had been a slo-blow fuse in there, that triac might not have survived. You can also DOWN SIZE the fuse based on the total current draw. If you have a bunch of LEDs on it now, you could easily drop to a 10A fuse - that is a 1200 watt maximum but size the fuse for 125% of the total load and if you can't get the exact size, use the next highest standard size. Obviously never ever put in a larger fuse (good thing AGC fuses are limited to 30A)

I believe OLD LOR stuff used a standard AGC glass fuse. Many current sizes are available.

Although basic electronic components can last for MANY years and in all sorts of environments, it sounds like this particular unit didn't get the memo and wasn't interested in the averages.

Yup ... many of my ssr's are protected by a poly fuse. My primary 120/240v power distribution panel has industrial style cartridge fuses (finger safe) on DIN rail for all the 25A SSR's. The fuses are rated to protect the wire they serve. #16 wire = 10a, #12 wire = 20A, etc. The tables and such can be found in the National Electrical Code and many sources on the internet.

Here's the Underwriters Lab guide to extension cords: http://www.stayonline.com/reference-circuit-ampacity.aspx

I use allot of twist lock style power connectors for my AC power. Costs more but much easier to use big wire instead of MANY little extension cords. One cord instead of many - easier cleanup.

Hope the GFCI puzzle goes together well

Thanks for letting me help.

Happy Holidays!

Eddie

Last edited:
Ah I didn't think about internal fuses on PSUs. Is that true too of the laptop power supplies many folks around here (including me) might be using for the DIYC floods? The other DC supplies I'm using are 2 12V waterproof ones and a 12V for the E682 (I believe all from diyledexpress). I would imagine those have internal fuses.

Still, I'm surprised I can't find more in-line options. It's not like a glass fuse is expensive and the expected load is known for everything. Certainly it'd be easier to replace than having to open up a PSU (though hopefully they use the resettable fuses).

Anyways thanks for the info!

Hiya - as a general rule (looked a bit deeper into this just to keep me on track) ... consider where a laptop PSU is used. If one were to fail without a fuse and start a fire - nope, the manufacturers don't care to carry that sort of liability. No manufacturer in their right mind wants that sort of liability. Fire forensics specialists can identify the source of just about any type of ignition source.

To get a Underwriter's Laboratory approval the PSU must protect itself. So, it has a fuse and other protections. Consider the MILLIONS of these things everywhere we go today. A PSU goes bad - well, we just toss it and buy a new one. No Coroner's report is filed. LOL!

Oh gawd no ... a circuit breaker style?? Nope - too expensive and the size of the device - those things CAN fail - if a switching PSU blows its fuse, it has internal issues. Most of them shut down if overloaded and reset when the overload clears - same for dead shorts on the outputs. It could be called PSU Self Preservation Mode. Those crazy engineers have other rather flat explanations but it all comes down to keeping people safe. Some IDIOT will try to replace a fuse with a LARGER fuse or worse ... HOLY SMOKE! Or was that BLUE SMOKE? I forget - >GRIN<

Overload a switching PSU and it will try to keep up until the internal thermoster begins to cut back output. Like I said earlier - short a switching PSU and it is suppose to shut down until the unit is power cycled. It checks the output for a short before beginning its startup sequences - takes a few milliseconds. If it is cleared, it resumes its happy job and gives you the power you want.

Today's switching power supplies are intelligent compared to their early counter-parts 30 years ago. IBM can attest to that - some PC's in the early 80's started fires. Nope, no one really heard of those instances - back then there was no internet like today. Google was STILL in diapers. Back then ... IF you had DIAL UP, you must have been rich. Not too many people remember CompUserve or AOL dial-ups? 10 cps teletypes? 30 cps video terminals? Yeah, I used them back when. Cable modems were a dream I had in the early 80's ... go figure. Took them long enough.

Keep the faith. If ever in doubt, you can surely find all the information you'd ever want to know by power supply model number. I can still dig up specs and schematics on some of the older stuff I've come across.

Confused by the info you get? No worries. If I can help clear it up ... I'll be around.

Eddie

P.S. finding INLINE fuse holders is not difficult ... they still come in varieties and different flavors with wires already attached. I can't remember ever using one in many years except in automotive applications. Yes, they are becoming scarce - a dying breed of protection because most devices are built with internal protection. Even the USB port we use is current limited. Technology gives us some peace of mind - it is smarter than ever before and safer too. -Eddie

Back