Train Build Axle

rangebob

I found a wheelchair to use for my train build. The main problem with the motor and axel is it is a solid axle with both wheels attached. I can't figure out how to remove just the motor to use it so I'm thinking of using the whole axel but it is 24" wide. If I use the axle as is the train engine should be around 5' long. Is that too big for a front yard train? I would have to figure out how big to make the curves for it to make a full circuit.

Should I find a different type of wheelchair to grab the motor from or keep it a very large train.

Bob:

A lot depends upon the size of your yard.

The minimum radius diameters of your curves will be determined not so much by the width of the gauge but by the length of the wheel bases on the locomotive and cars. Short wheelbases mean you can have tighter curves.

But a 24-inch gauge is still going to mean you're going to need a really, really big yard. A quick consultation with Wikipedia shows the minimum curve on a 2-foot gauge road was 16-foot radius ... if you can't lay out the, ahem, railroad in smaller than a 32-foot wide circle, then you probably should look for a different motor and build a smaller railroad.

\dmc

(PS: Don't ask me about me other hobby ... there's steam, oil and fire involved.)

I'm not a ride-on guy ... just a humble 45mm (aka Gauge One; aka G Gauge) steamer, mostly in 1:20.3 but with some other scales as well.

(For the uninitiated, the cost difference between ride-on and Gauge One is about $20,000 per locomotive.)

\dmc

I'm not a ride-on guy ... just a humble 45mm (aka Gauge One; aka G Gauge) steamer, mostly in 1:20.3 but with some other scales as well.

(For the uninitiated, the cost difference between ride-on and Gauge One is about $20,000 per locomotive.)

\dmc

Let's see some photos!!! This sounds cool! My grandfather was an engineer on the Soo line, so I've always had a keen interest in trains!

Those are beautifully machined! How long will they run at one time before needing more water or fuel? What kind of fuel do you use? Charcoal briquette? How often do you guys get together and run your trains? What a great hobby!!!

Those are beautifully machined!
Some are built in workshops; some are commercial. Mine is a circa 1970s German locomotive made by a Japanese firm and sold by a German company.
How long will they run at one time before needing more water or fuel?
Virtually all are designed to run out of fuel before water. Some of them have external water tanks and others you can top off while they're under steam pressure. But from operating pressure to end-of-fuel is usually 20-40 minutes.
What kind of fuel do you use? Charcoal briquette?
Not enough heat in charcoal. Most use butane (think camping stove rather than cigarette lighter); some use alcohol, and a few use real coal.
How often do you guys get together and run your trains? What a great hobby!!!
It is a great hobby. Here in the Bay Area we usually get together once a month during the spring-winter-fall; folks up your way seem to not get started until May and end up operations in September ;-) ...

\dmc

have been building on my train for the last 3 weeks.. got the track all done and working on the engine now.. my motor came out of a two motor wheel chair. had to remove the brake which was a simple job. engine will look like diesel engine. with two flat cars and caboose. snoopy and his plane will be on one flat car. building the curves was hardest part. but got it done. Had lots of info from other people that have built them before.
track is 40 feet long and 18 feet wide. lots of things to consider when building..
might be able to post some pictures later.

Please keep us updated with info and lots of pics!! You might want to start a new thread dedicated to that too to build off of.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

Back