Transition to Thanksgiving

1pet2_9

I noticed there is virtually no activity on the board w/ respect to Thanksgiving (this is my first year attempting it, myself). Canadian Thanksgiving has already passed. They don't do a whole lot, anyway--it's just a day off. And then later they'll watch the NFL games from work on Thursday.... But U.S. Thanksgiving bridges the gap from Halloween to Christmas, and a lot of us just tear down Halloween and go directly to setting up Christmas by Thanksgiving weekend.

I don't claim to be a pro at it; just helping the board as I can. I found that if you just set aside a few man-hours and identify the stuff that can be re-purposed for Thanksgiving, you can set that up first. A little Thanksgiving mini-show can distract passersby from the construction zone that is your house.

A little bit that I learned:
- I noticed you can just re-purpose your audio, your power, and some of your props from Halloween, to Thanksgiving, to Christmas.
- Pixels are very easily re-purposed. My observation is if you set your pixels to Red=255 and then tweak Green from 0 to 127, that is your color palette. Simple as that. Which interestingly enough, is probably exactly how nature does it: as chlorophyll fades away for autumn, so does the green.
- Quick-and-dirty sequences are the name of the game. The aim is not to be perfect: it's to beat having nothing at all on November 10th.
- It's no big deal to set up the mega tree and candy canes early. Just don't connect them to the show until it's time.
- Other props are just not Christmas-specific. Just switch up the pixels from red+greens to red+yellows(with a lot less red) in the software and you're done.

I know everybody's in a hurry to get Christmas up, and it's not like attempting Thanksgiving, too, is no distraction at all from that. I've got neighbors who are already set up for Christmas. I just set aside a little thought and planning, and now I'm pretty much the only Thanksgiving setup in town, as I go on about Christmas.

If other people have other ideas they do, maybe I'll throw that into my setup, too.

Last edited:
I'm glad you mention honoring the thanksgiving holiday and actually doing something for it. I do it too. Mine is very simple. I basically just transition the house border pixels from the Halloween pattern to fall colors and i throw up an inflatable turkey. I don't use audio. Just one basic looping sequence to give the mostly static pattern some shimmer. None of my Christmas show props are included in the thanksgiving display sequences. But those props do get installed and stay dark as time permits over the course of November. I try to hold back the most Christmassy looking stuff to the last minute.

If you use audio during Christmas and you're throwing up a turkey anyway, I found this free sound: https://soundbible.com/1315-Turkey-Gobble.html

My transition from Halloween colors to Thanksgiving colors is actually a smooth one, at least as far as the pixels are concerned. Blood red, purple, orange, and a little yellow; which transitions to a lot of yellow and orange, with a little red. Purple's gone, which means blue is gone.

I guess the element of honoring Thanksgiving (like you mentioned) matters, too. Take a moment, stop and give thanks, before giving way to Christmas. I like the theme of Peace on Earth for Christmas. I need to do more to get those messages across, without being in-your-face.

LOL. I can only imagine putting up the tune-to sign just so people can turn in and listen to a turkey gobbling for a month!

LOL. I can only imagine putting up the tune-to sign just so people can turn in and listen to a turkey gobbling for a month!

My wife had me put it on 50%, just because she thought it would annoy the tar out of the neighbors.

Back