Trouble communicating Vixen to E1.31 bridge to DMX

In your 5th picture on the right, I see that the effects preview is off......was it turned on when you tested?
***Solved****

Yes I did have effect preview on still it was not working, but after going through every step again I went to Xlights where the setup was working for me and tried troubleshooting from there. While the Xlights test was running I painstakingly turned off each channel 1 at a time from 1-512 to see where the lights were responding for some reason my DMX device channels start responding at 100. So my problem in Vixen was not that the setup for Multicast was wrong. I did not have enough channels so my leds could respond so I had to patch my 32 channels starting at 100 in Vixen once the channels were mapped to those outputs Bam! lights on.

Thank you gassy and everyone for sticking with me and helping me with this confusing setup.

Any ideas on why the channels need to start at 100

You made those colors. How did you configure the channels? What type of color handling did you turn on for each of the channels?

the color handling I made is RGBW for my dumb leds my DMX controller has 8 output channels which will make 32 channels 8 bit 4 channels per output. the controller also i just found out adds more channels under 16 bit to 8 channels per output but under my test in xlights the extra channels are duplicates but with a dim color 16 bit channels are mapped like this Red,dim Red,Green,dim Green,Blue,dim Blue, White,dim White in Vixen its mapped like this.
2020-03-26 (5).jpg2020-03-26 (6).jpg

I have not got to test 16 bit in Vixen yet.

the color handling I made is RGBW for my dumb leds my DMX controller has 8 output channels which will make 32 channels 8 bit 4 channels per output. the controller also i just found out adds more channels under 16 bit to 8 channels per output but under my test in xlights the extra channels are duplicates but with a dim color 16 bit channels are mapped like this Red,dim Red,Green,dim Green,Blue,dim Blue, White,dim White in Vixen its mapped like this.
View attachment 42812View attachment 42813

I have not got to test 16 bit in Vixen yet.

I have tested the 16 bit configuration seems to be brighter with that color scheme, not sure why there are 4 leads to the lights but my controller assigns 8 channels 2 per lead but it does get brighter

I read through this thread because I have a similar problem. You guys seem to know a lot about DMX bridges so please answer this for me. If change a section of a pixel controller card (e682) to act as a DMX bridge (and the card has good comms to the DMX decoder [relays only 16 chl] ) do I still use pixel mapping for that section and the controller card converts them, or do I have to setup a DMX controller like in this thread? If a new DMX controller do I just map the available unicast address to it?

141 a.jpg 141 b.JPG Adding video of my card test.

Solved: So I solved it with help from Jim at Sandevices. Yes you do need the J22 jumper no matter what firmware you are running. My card has a defect on section 4, so I moved DMX to section 3 and universe 9. Remapped Vixen too and now all is well.

Last edited:
Hi yes the E1.31 controller was meant to be used more for multicast but it does support both unicast and multicast

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using my PC's ethernet port directly to my E1.31 controller which has 4 ethernet ports to connect to my DMX controllers I have configured my network on my PC like the screenshot below and my E1.31 controller settings from within its page also screenshot below.
vidmate mobdro

Last edited:
Back