Trying something simple

jcase16

We have built a 7x7 square with one extra pixel right above the 4th row. So it looks like this:

-------X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X
(added dashes to try and get the X in the correct spot on top)

We simply want to be able to control each pixel to create very basic images. WLED won't allow more than 16 segments so I can't use that. I haven't been able to figure anything else out. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to be able to build like 20 of these to make a christmas tree or a present or a jackolantern. What software should we use? I believe we have an ESP 8266 from Hi Let Go. We have a string of WS2811 lights. Would love your help. Thank you!

Last edited:
I finally figured out how to use WLED for this. Using a segment for column has worked well. I wish I had a bit more control but it's working. The biggest struggle I'm having now is that the segments sometimes seem to get accidentally set to the wrong colors. The UI isn't great about helping you know what color is selected and not being able to select a single color for multiple segments at the same time seems odd and I wish I could drag segments around in whatever order I wanted them to be in lol... But.... I got it working. Thank you!

Back