Tubing for arches in the UK

rodb

I have a question about tubing for arches here in the UK.

What type of tubing do people in the UK buy and where do you buy them from?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

I am very interested in this topic also. I am based in Ireland so the options are even more limited but if you figure out a good option I am happy to grab a boat over in lieu of a shipping options

Cheers
Damian

MikeF that works a treat thanks for the tip. The screwfix FLOPLAST PUSH-FIT PIPE WHITE 40MM X 3M is great.

Damian the pipe was manufactured in Ireland you have a good chance in finding a local supplier over there.

Thanks for the help.
Rod

Fantastic. I think I can order a sample length also from screwfix here in Ireland and figure out who is the manufacturer.

What lights are you using, ws2812 strips or something else? (I have 1 roll of this laying about before it’s time to shop)

What are you selecting for end caps and the clamp?

Damian,

I'm using ws2811 tape with 3-leds per pixel 12V but this is because I have plenty of these in my box. Driving them from DMX.

I have not selected end caps yet was looking at the rebar end covers but have not yet sorted this out. Have also found this https://ebay.us/Epqe6y but not fully explored this option yet. Or PVC 'T' pieces I am really still deciding.

I am also thinking about bottom brace and pipe hanger for attachment at the ends.
Would appreciate help in this direction as I have not yet fully through all this.

Found this at well https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-abs-access-plugs-grey-40mm-5-pack/64588 a 40mm end cap.

Last edited:
I think it’s important to ensure that these tubes are water-proof (given how finicky the strips are even if they’re “waterproof”).

I use PEX tubing. Then got the corresponding end cap for the tube. I then drilled a hole through the end-cap that will accept an appropriate cable-gland (to pass the pigtail). This allowed me to apply the right amount of tension to the strips (to keep them secure and flat), and once the cable-glands are tightened, everything is waterproof.

Last edited:
These are roughly the same pipes I intend to use, though 40mm seems a bit too "fat" for me, so I decided to go with 32mm. Although I would have even preferred 1" if that would have been available.

This is a link to a test video using a ws2811 3-LED pixel strip in a 40mm tube from screwfix
https://youtu.be/x6PsDrzO1sw

Its just a quick video showing the LEDs showing through the tube. Video is taken in the dark as it shows the tube in its best.

I think it’s important to ensure that these tubes are water-proof (given how finicky the strips are even if they’re “waterproof”).

I use PEX tubing. Then got the corresponding end cap for the tube. I then drilled a hole through the end-cap that will accept an appropriate cable-gland (to pass the pigtail). This allowed me to apply the right amount of tension to the strips (to keep them secure and flat), and once the cable-glands are tightened, everything is waterproof.

Hi You say you use PEX tubing can it be bent to a arch what size is it ? and do you have any pic,s showing thelights working ? and lastly where do you get it from? Sorry to ask so much but I relly want to make some arches.
Martin

Have not tried bending the tubing yet. Was thinking paint stripper hot air gun and tie down strap to assist, but have not decided on size of arch or anything yet, that is for next year.

The colours are a 'color wheel' (note american spelling for google) that starts on a different pixel for each redraw then delay. Its a simple effect I have coded in my DMX pixel controller.

Hi
Your show is very good it must have taken ages to do well thought out !!!!!

Re pex tube, I did some 18 months ago try to get some in the UK I think it was called "shark" when the company got it in I went down to see it. Yes it was easy to bend but it was a barrier pipe and one of barriers in the pipe was metal so I was told so light would never go though, so I would love to kown what you use ?? So I can try and track some down in the UK ??? Thank you
Martin

PEX tube is also called Sharkbite tubing, so that may be what you heard.

There’s no metal component, so not sure about that though

Have not tried bending the tubing yet. Was thinking paint stripper hot air gun and tie down strap to assist, but have not decided on size of arch or anything yet, that is for next year.

The colours are a 'color wheel' (note american spelling for google) that starts on a different pixel for each redraw then delay. Its a simple effect I have coded in my DMX pixel controller.

For even bending, use the hot sand method (videos on YouTube) and a fixture. Hot air gun may not give you the smooth curve you are looking for.

Back