Tubing for arches in the UK

For even bending, use the hot sand method (videos on YouTube) and a fixture. Hot air gun may not give you the smooth curve you are looking for.

It doesn’t look like he’s using PVC. Might want to simply start with just hot water

I think I experimented with the same tubing, it's PE or PP material.
I have used a method by filling the tube with cold sand, and then heating the tube with a hot air gun. That worked out relatively well, but I intend to do it for next year's display with the hot sand method, so basically heating sand in a pan, pouring it in the tube, an then, after a few minutes, bending it around a template. I expect even better results from that.

The PEX tubing that Martin was referring to is actually more AL-PEX, so flexible PE tubing with an aluminium layer in between. That's the only one I could find here on the mainland as well. That type of tubing is not translucent at all. Sharkbite apparently is, but I haven't been able to find it here.

By the way, not for arches of lights, but AL-PEX tubing is very easily bendable, easiest by putting a bending spring inside the tube. That way, you can make great candy-canes. Without lightning of course.

Screwfix 65426 also works - I've used lots of it for making pipes with 40mm end caps and strips inside.
Have tried to form an arch but it springs back and doesn't form a very good shape.

Thanks for screwfix tip arches done and tested brighter than expected may use conduit for canes as have some strip left over. I used hot sand and a jig to bend them.

Ok. Ok course nothing is simple in the republic. No one appears to stock this product, but a little out of box thinking and the NI stores of course have stock. Road trip time I guess. B&Q appears to have the floplast push-fit 40mm white 3m length.

https://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-push-fit-waste-pipe-dia-40mm-white/152664_BQ.prd?rrec=true

Next we need to do some match on the length per arch and number of arches.

1st world issues.
Screwfix has opened in Sandyford and Swords. 40 of that 40mm wastepipe suggested earlier, in stock in Sandyford it says on the website

Thanks for the links. I was trying to get sharkbite pex pipe from smiths brothers (their listed uk supplier), but found out they dont really sell it any more. The screwfix link and your video look like a great alternative.

Back