UDMX Plugin for Vixen 2?

Freestyler has drivers for most of those adapters. Vixen may need the DLL installed. You may need to disable the initial Windows version of the DLL if Windows auto detected and installed the driver from it's library. Check which driver is installed for the device.

"ATTENTION: And then the file uDMX.dll has to be MANUALLY copied to the directory <Windows>\System32\ in order to finish the installation.
After uDMX.dll has been copied to the directory of <windows>\System32\, for example C:\WINDOWS\system32, the driver installation is finished."

If Windows installed another driver first, it might not load the correct driver.

I've had so much trouble with the USB DMX devices using a serial chip, I started using a DMX bridge instead. Since Freestyler does not yet support E1.31, the other format ArtNet is easy to find bridges for it. I hope they upgrade soon and start supporting E1.31 as I do like Freestyler for some applications. Due to the limited universe limit of 2 and no E1.31, I have been using QLC Plus as a replacement most of the time.

Last edited:
Freestyler has drivers for most of those adapters. Vixen may need the DLL installed. You may need to disable the initial Windows version of the DLL if Windows auto detected and installed the driver from it's library. Check which driver is installed for the device.

"ATTENTION: And then the file uDMX.dll has to be MANUALLY copied to the directory <Windows>\System32\ in order to finish the installation.
After uDMX.dll has been copied to the directory of <windows>\System32\, for example C:\WINDOWS\system32, the driver installation is finished."

If Windows installed another driver first, it might not load the correct driver.

I've had so much trouble with the USB DMX devices using a serial chip, I started using a DMX bridge instead. Since Freestyler does not yet support E1.31, the other format ArtNet is easy to find bridges for it. I hope they upgrade soon and start supporting E1.31 as I do like Freestyler for some applications. Due to the limited universe limit of 2 and no E1.31, I have been using QLC Plus as a replacement most of the time.

Hmm, I've tried putting the uDMX.dll on system 32... I'll have to try uninstalling it completely again and then try it... But if that doesn't work I'll look at the DMX bridge option. Which one are you using?

Seasonal Entertainment has a pretty good USB-to-DMX512 dongle. There are also a few DIY versions around that work.

Are you talking about the XDongle and/or XSplit?

But if that doesn't work I'll look at the DMX bridge option. Which one are you using?

I am using the DIYLED Express bridge. I chose it because it uses regular RS485 driver chips. For full DMX it supports full 512 ch universes. This has a downside as it only does pixels that do not need a clock line. The driver chips do a great job driving DMX and 3 wire pixels such as the WS2811.

It;s crazy, the kit cost about the same as my Enttec Open DMX USB dongle at $70 and way cheaper than the 1 universe ethernet version. Sweetwater has them for $261 for one universe LOL.

Last edited:
Any link I can find that points to a plugin doesn't work...

Some time ago the link to the vixen - uDMX - plugin went offline.
Now uDMXArtnet supports ACN / E1.31.
So, just use E1.31 output module and start uDMXArtnet.exe (after installing the uDMX driver).
uDMX should work with vixen this way.

uDMX_vixen3.png

Back