USB SSR? would the cable matter how long from the Raspberry pi?? couple more ?s

Pcguy17

Okay i just replied one of the guys on youtube is using this SSR board https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Ei...0a-20&linkId=1eec23eb8e74cef314d69cbb7216da82
it is connected to the rasp pi with USB.... Im new to all of this but my thinking on this is that the SSB and output wires for your christmas lights could be all mounted in a separate box away from the Raspberry pi.. since connected to a USB to printer type looking cable..
I just wondering could it be say 10 foot long cord and still work fine?

Right now I have my rasp pi sitting on my desk, i plan to mount it some how in a encloser. im waiting for the SSR i ordered to get here to see how big it is for sure. I am guessing the GPIO wires can't be very long so the Pi and SSR would have to be in the same box.. the only distance anything could be away from other parts would be the plug in however there hooked to the SSR. Sorry i know pictures would help but not having the SSR yet its hard.

I am figuring this all out as i go. i know the guys using LOR controllers only have to run a Ethernet cable from the Pi/ Pi cap to control the controller i know this is the best set up but i cant afford a LOR controller right now.

Also, once i have my Sqences onto the Rasp Pi.. does the Ethernet from my home network have to be plugged into the rasp Pi? or can it be unplugged and taken anywhere i want to put it to plug up my lights? just trying to plan ahead cause if it has to be on the Ethernet connection all the time i have to buy another 100 foot Cat 5 line to go from my room to where i plan to set the unit.

btw this is the SSR i ordered... After seeing others online it seems there are many types of SSR most seem to just be one or two at most smaller block looking types. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OC5WK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A high quality USB cable can go up to 20 feet.

Yes the PI would like some form of Network connection. Either via Ethernet or Wireless. The PI does not have a real time clock. If you want the PI to run on a schedule you need to provide a network connection (NTP to set the internal time base) or add a PI hat that has a real time clock on it.

A high quality USB cable can go up to 20 feet.

Yes the PI would like some form of Network connection. Either via Ethernet or Wireless. The PI does not have a real time clock. If you want the PI to run on a schedule you need to provide a network connection (NTP to set the internal time base) or add a PI hat that has a real time clock on it.
So with the pi hat it can run w.o the network?
I thought at first it just had be set up with network then ran alone.
thanks

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

It is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. The FPP is managed via a Web interface. That means some form of Network connection is needed to get it set up. Once the PI is set up, the only missing piece is a source of accurate time information (real time clock). If the PI hat has an RTC, then in the setup phase it will sink to the national time source and as long as the RTC battery does not die, it will keep reasonable time.

However, as a user of a multi node FPP system, I can tell you I regularly log into the FPP to make sure all is going well. I personally would not consider having an FPP in my show with no way to access it. The FPP has diagnostic modes that I use to check my lights every few days. Having to connect and disconnect a network would be a true PITA. I also tend to tweak the show and that means uploading a new fseq file over the network. What I am trying to say is that I suggest you DO provide a network connection for your PI. You will thank yourself in the long run. A USB based WiFi stick is under $10 so it is not an expensive add-on.

It is a bit of a chicken and egg problem. The FPP is managed via a Web interface. That means some form of Network connection is needed to get it set up. Once the PI is set up, the only missing piece is a source of accurate time information (real time clock). If the PI hat has an RTC, then in the setup phase it will sink to the national time source and as long as the RTC battery does not die, it will keep reasonable time.

However, as a user of a multi node FPP system, I can tell you I regularly log into the FPP to make sure all is going well. I personally would not consider having an FPP in my show with no way to access it. The FPP has diagnostic modes that I use to check my lights every few days. Having to connect and disconnect a network would be a true PITA. I also tend to tweak the show and that means uploading a new fseq file over the network. What I am trying to say is that I suggest you DO provide a network connection for your PI. You will thank yourself in the long run. A USB based WiFi stick is under $10 so it is not an expensive add-on.
Alright, thanks again I'm just trying make sure I know what all else I need to buy and or plane to add and or i need figure out where it's going to live for the holiday season. I would love for it to sit inside my bedroom window. cause well it's about 3 ft from it now. if I used a usb ssr or other kinda box then it could just sit outside my window on the ground and all cords can be ran to it.

So now that I have the Falcon player on it there no real need for the moniter or keyboard/mouse? all it has to do is turn on and I can access it from my regular pc. or I guess even my cell if I type that ip addy into the search bar

I need find a detailed video I guess about all of the menus inside of the Falcon player not sure how to set it all up..

thanks again for your help.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Correct, once you have the FPP up and running and you provide it a network connection, then you can run it from your Desktop computer, Tablet and phone. Anything that has a web browser.

Back