Using Mac Ilife '08 Garage Band for song editing

stempile

I got a Mac back in April. Its been interesting finding projects to use it with. This year for my for my music selection I am using bits of 4 or 5 different songs. With Garageband I am able to build a mix with transitions and cuts.

So far it seems to be working great for what I am attempting to accomplish.

ms

wjohn said:
as MACs are so clever, can you get it to prgram Vixen too?

John.

On that note, anyone run Moma (mono migration analyzer) to see how close it may be that vixen might run on a Linux/Mac OS machine?

Tony

I think mono is a compiler. I looked at that once, it seemed more geared toward the person developing the software vs the one trying to run it.

I am running vixen on the mac however via VMware Fusion. I got in on the beta of that so I got it for 1/2 price. I can power my Renard64s via a usbTOserial adapter. I can't do LedTricks or any other parallel based controller though.

In my office here (the lab) I have a ubunutu server, mac mini and a windows XP box. The gang is all here! and they all play nice together.

ms 

stempile said:
I think mono is a compiler. I looked at that once, it seemed more geared toward the person developing the software vs the one trying to run it.

I am running vixen on the mac however via VMware Fusion. I got in on the beta of that so I got it for 1/2 price. I can power my Renard64s via a usbTOserial adapter. I can't do LedTricks or any other parallel based controller though.

In my office here (the lab) I have a ubunutu server, mac mini and a windows XP box. The gang is all here! and they all play nice together.

ms 

Mono, is an attempt to make .NET work on platforms other than windows. .NET is conceivably like any bytecode runtime environment (like java) and so should be able to run on any platform.
Most of support for .NET is ported, and programs can be created that run on windows as well as linux.
The group also is attempting to port windows specific things so that vixen could potentially run on a linux box (or Mac) in a more or less native way.

The Moma program can be run on an application to see just how much will work, and how much will not.

My curiousity is to see if anyone has tried it (moma) recently, to see if there has been any progress.

Of course emulating a PC on Mac is one way around it.

Tony

/me raises hand!

It's got quite a number of things left.
The report which I've done is here: http://flowblok.justfree.com/output.html
I've only analysed Vixen, because that's the best starting point.
Oh, and it's Vixen 2.0 beta 2, because I don't have beta 3 on my computer at the moment! The report's probably almost the same, though.

When Mono releases version 2.0, that means that it completely supports Vixen. (Unless KC has to use some .NET 3.0 methods). Because MS develop both the specifications and an implementation, their implementation will always be ahead of Mono.

One main problem is making a Inpout32.dll for Linux / Mac / other. It needs to do the raw parallel operations. Serial is fine, however, because that's provided through the .NET System.IO.Ports namespace;

Also, you need to work out how to provide the fmod library, which Vixen uses for its audio work.

I've asked K.C. for a mono build, and he's said that he'll look at it while travelling.

Tony is right, and here's a simple explanation of it:
Mono is a .Net implementation, .Net is a framework used by CLI programs (like Vixen). Microsoft produce MS .Net, which is their .Net implementation. However, they only do that for Windows.

flowblok said:
/me raises hand!

One main problem is making a Inpout32.dll for Linux / Mac / other. It needs to do the raw parallel operations. Serial is fine, however, because that's provided through the .NET System.IO.Ports namespace;
Well, for the Mac this isn't an issue since I don't believe they have PC parallel ports on them. All plugins would require rewriting, but that is the nature of the beast, where code meets the metal, there is always going to be something to change.
flowblok said:
Also, you need to work out how to provide the fmod library, which Vixen uses for its audio work.

The fmod libary has a Linux build already.

flowblok said:
I've asked K.C. for a mono build, and he's said that he'll look at it while travelling.

Well, it appears one of the major, not playing along pieces is the tool bar. If there was a variaton without , that would account for a lot of the not implemented in the Mono report you generated.

Tony M.

A Marchini said:
Well, for the Mac this isn't an issue since I don't believe they have PC parallel ports on them. All plugins would require rewriting, but that is the nature of the beast, where code meets the metal, there is always going to be something to change.
Yes, I agree. The serial ones won't require rewriting, but DMX, Parallel and anything else would.

A Marchini said:
The fmod libary has a Linux build already.
Yes, I am aware of that, but I believe that KC is using a fmod.dll library which P/Invokes into a fmodex.dll. I know that P/Invokes on Linux/Mac Mono go directly into libraries (.so, .a, .whatever), but I'd still want to test that it does actually find the right library.

I wonder if some of these posts should really go into a more appropriately named topic.

Back