Using two Arduinos

Mike_Parks

Hi,
Having a problem getting Vixen 2 to work with two Arduinos (MEGA 2560). I have the same simple 5 channel sketch loaded onto both Arduinos. One is on com3 the other on com4. I can get them each to work separately with a 5 channel Vixen 2 sequence. I have built a profile with 10 channels. Channels 1 to 5 on one generic serial port on com3 and channels 6 to 10 on another generic serial port on com4. However, when I run the sequence the lights do not behave properly at all.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
I have managed to get Vixen 3 to work with two Arduinos but it is far too complicated for my needs and I would much rather stick with Vixen 2 which I have come to grips with.
Thanks,
Mike

Are you saying you can plug in one (com3) and it works fine. Then you plug in com4 and unplug com3 and it works? Or do you kill the com port setup in Vixen 2 between tries?

I have both Arduinos connected and both com ports open and I can drive each of them separately with a 5 channel Vixen sequence using each of the com ports. If I want to drive two Arduinos then they both have to be connected to open com ports.

Mike

Vixen 2 has limitations on Port numbers, but you seem to be well under that limit. There could be something conflicting with the Com port on the computer. Some desktops still have actual serial ports on the back. Many Laptops will have an IR port tied to an internal serial port.
Also check the baud rate settings for each port, compare it to the sketch on the arduino. Some of the sketches shared on this forum have a header in place to ensure data integrity, the settings might be off a bit.

There is a sketch on this forum that will allow you to connect 48 relays to an Arduino MEGA. Maybe the simpler solution is to use just one Arduino.

Thanks for your interest in my little problem.
I have checked the PC port settings - Baud rate 9600, data bits 8, parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none for both com3 and com4.
I don't think there is any problem in this area as the 5 channel Vixen sequence works ok with each Arduino separately, it is only when I try to use the 10 channel sequence that thinks don't work.
I am not checking for a header but ran Vixen 2 sequence last Christmas for several hours over several days without a hiccup.
One thing I have just noticed - when I run the 10 channel sequence with both Arduinos the Tx led on each Arduino is flashing all the time on each Arduino. If I run the 5 channel sequence for each Arduino separately this doesn't happen.

Back