Vixen 2.1 Channel and Port Limits

Amigorick

We have Vixen 2.1 running our show through two USB CP2102 Dongles with Xbee Radios
for about 500 channels. We had two houses in our show, but this year we added two more.
If we need to add more channels in the future, will vixen handle adding a third port with
another of the same dongles. I read a post somewhere that Vixen 2.1 didn't like more than
two dongles of the same type and another dongle would have to be FTDI based for it to work.
I have used the FTDI adapters and had more problems with them than the CP2102 units.
Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
I believe that Twireless (tweist) had four usb dongles driving 4 different Xbee networks at one time. He also used USB extenders so he could mount them outside on his roof. He also used Vixen 2.1 at the time.

Thanks!! I have been using the small usb dongles that connect to your XBee Adapters that are capable of being used as transmitters. I recently purchased
some Xbees from a member and he sent me some "Explorer Boards" that use the same CP2102 chips as the dongles. I may, in the future, try one of those and my transmitter to simplify the connection instead of using the small jumper wires from the USB dongle to the Xbee adapter. I hope they work as well as the ones I have been using.
Thanks Again!!

I believe that Twireless (tweist) had four usb dongles driving 4 different Xbee networks at one time. He also used USB extenders so he could mount them outside on his roof. He also used Vixen 2.1 at the time.

Back