Vixen 2.1 on Linux

Jonpro03

How to: Vixen 2.1 on Linux

Confirmed working!

How to:
These instructions are based on Debian based systems (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc...).
If you don't have apt, you can install it with
Code:
sudo aptitude install apt
Most of the code can be copy/pasted into a terminal.
to paste code into a terminal, either rightclick and select paste, or press CTL+SHIFT+V.

I recommend removing old versions of wine before starting.
Code:
sudo apt-get remove wine*
sudo apt-get purge wine*

Install wine 1.3.36
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.3

Use winetricks to install the following:
dotnet20
d3dx9_42
corefonts
devenum
gdiplus
volnum
vcrun2008
Code:
bash winetricks dotnet20
bash winetricks d3dx9_42
bash winetricks etc...

Use winecfg to force virtual desktop size (only for Ubuntu with Unity 10.10 and up)
Code:
winecfg
then click on the Graphics Tab
check Emulate a virtual desktop and fill in a size like 1024x768.

Now move on to setting up ports.

For USB to Serial
*Plug in dongle and run dmesg to get dev enumeration (ttyUSB0 in my case)
Code:
dmesg
*Create symbolic link for wine:
Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
if you are using more than one USB/serial device, add them but use ttyUSB1 and com2 etc...
*Edit registry
Code:
sudo nano ~/.wine/system.reg
and add devices under #arch=win32
Code:
[Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 1231984861
"Serial0" = "Com1"
"Serial1" = "Com2"
add more if you need them, ie "Serial2" = "Com3"

For onboard serial ports:
Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
If you plan to use more than one serial port, add them but use ttyS1 and com2 etc...
*Edit registry
Code:
and add device
Code:
"Serial0" = "Com1"
"Serial1" = "Com2"

For Parallel port:
Code:
ln -s /dev/lp0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/lpt1

Now you can download Vixen. Extract it to your home directory and give it a shot! Post back and let me know how it goes!

----------Original Post--------------

I still have a couple of bugs to work out, but before I call it a night I had to show you guys this.

QMNam.png

7O6nd.png

URsh8.png

uyyL7.png

nHT0q.png

So far I've got Vixen 2.1 running damn near perfectly on Ubuntu 11.04 using wine 1.3.36, dotnet 2.0 sp2 and a whole lot of tweaking. Audio works perfectly, UI works well, and no crashes. :D Theres one bug that throws the mouse pointer off. It's something to do with Unity and won't be a problem on Gnome3 or KDE machines and is easily fixed by switching workspaces. I have not, however, been able to test any real-world functionality. At least not today. I'm looking for someone who's got a renard or other controller that uses a serial port for communication to test it out. I was able to plug in my USB-Serial adapter and enumerate it, but that doesn't mean that Vixen likes it. Instead of giving directions on how I got this far, I could just host my .wine folder for download.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
I am definately interested. Just getting my feet wet with ubuntu and linux as a whole by am willing to give it a shot.

Thanks.

I'm Interested. Running Debian Squeeze with old-skool gnome (2.3?)

I have a Renard SS8 next to my computer desk for testing purposes. Not much, but it helps when tinkering w/ things.

A quick run down of how I did it (so far).

Install wine 1.3.36
Code:
 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.3

Use winetricks to install the following:
dotnet20
d3dx9_42
corefonts
devenum
gdiplus
vcrun2008
Code:
bash winetricks dotnet20
bash winetricks d3dx9_42
etc...

Use winecfg to force virtual desktop size (only for Ubuntu with Unity)
Code:
winecfg
then Graphics Tab

Setup ports to be used.

For USB to Serial (what I'm using)
*Plug in dongle and run dmesg to get dev enumeration (ttyUSB0 in my case)
Code:
dmesg
Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
*Edit registry
Code:
and add device
Code:
"Serial0" = "Com1"
"Serial1" = "Com2"

For onboard serial ports:
Code:
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
*Edit registry
Code:
and add device
Code:
"Serial0" = "Com1"
"Serial1" = "Com2"

For Parallel port:

Code:
ln -s /dev/lp0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/lpt1

Last edited:
Jonpro03

Add:

sh winetricks corefonts - to allow channel name and color changes.

Folks..

Congratulations Jonpro03, you found the missing link!

I am sitting here watching 64 channels of good old Blinky-Flashy dance on my Ren64XC5.

Ubuntu 11.04 - the Natty Narwhal !

[video=vimeo;35176045]http://vimeo.com/35176045[/video]

Its quick and dirty.. but it shows Vixen does indeed work under Ubuntu

I needed "volnum" before "vcrun2008", otherwise the install of "vcrun2008" errored out with a message stating: "Extraction Failed - Unable to find a volume for file extraction".

Once I added that, it (sort of) worked in Debian Squeeze. Vixen doesn't seem to like to quit sending data...

First, I tried playing back a sequence with only the adjustable preview enabled, which worked.
Second, I setup the symlinks and registry entries and playback worked, it wasn't happy when I hit stop half-way through a song. I was able to ctrl+c the terminal and get out of vixen after a couple .net/vixen errors.
Third, I decided to play a whole song. This had the same result as stopping mid-way through a song. Once the song was over, the Vixen window was unresponsive. It re-draws if I switch to and from the application, but I cannot access any menus using hot keys, nor mouse. I cannot move or click any buttons in the sequence window (which wasn't maximized) and the terminal keeps spitting out a mix of these three error message:
Code:
fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PROCESSOR_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 16 not supported yet
fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_ClientSideDIBCopy potential optimization: client-side complex region clipping

I am having very similar problems with Mint. Still working on a fix. I'm not sure why it's more functional with one flavor of linux than another.

Did you have a controller hooked up while you were testing? Which plugin were you using?

Last edited:
I am having very similar problems with Mint. Still working on a fix. I'm not sure why it's more functional with one flavor of linux than another.

Did you have a controller hooked up while you were testing? Which plugin were you using?

Renard plugin with a Renard SS8 hooked up. The plugin gave no errors when starting playback and the Renard was dancing. After the song was over and I couldn't click the sequence window, I clicked the "X" to close Vixen and received an error that read "Port close: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." After that, I saw a window I've seen a few times in windows: "(Router) An output plugin caused the following exception: Value cannot be null. Execution has been stopped."

Masterdaddy

The (Router) error you mentioned, for me, has occurred when Vixen has had a second "hidden" instance of Vixen running at the same time.

Not sure if there is a way similar to the .bat file script to check for multiple instances of Vixen while working under WINE. I'll check into it.

Masterdaddy

The (Router) error you mentioned, for me, has occurred when Vixen has had a second "hidden" instance of Vixen running at the same time.

Not sure if there is a way similar to the .bat file script to check for multiple instances of Vixen while working under WINE. I'll check into it.

I've seen A "router" error before when something else was holding the serial port open, but this one mentions a null reference. I think the other router error message I saw was something like "access denied to com1" or similar.

I like to use a program called htop to watch and end wine processes. When started with sudo it's quite powerful. I use it to kill stray wine instances. They're easy to pick out because the path starts with C:\ instead of / haha! :D

Please let us know if you still have the end of playback error after killing any other stray wine processes.

I'm Getting and 'Access to COM1 port Denied'.
I did the symbolic link and can see it in the .wine dosdevices directory
I'm, running Ubuntu 12.01 and the COM1 is an Enttec DMX USB Pro plugin (it is the RPM USB to DMX Adaptor V2.0 - Full Parts Kit (FT245RL pre-installed on board).
but even the Generic Serial Tosses the same error.

Last edited:
I'm Getting and 'Access to COM1 port Denied'.
I did the symbolic link and can see it in the .wine dosdevices directory
I'm, running Ubuntu 12.01 and the COM1 is an Enttec DMX USB Pro plugin (it is the RPM USB to DMX Adaptor V2.0 - Full Parts Kit (FT245RL pre-installed on board).
but even the Generic Serial Tosses the same error.

My guess would be the permissions to the device you symlinked. Is it /dev/ttyUSB0? Is it plugdev? Are you in plugdev? I ask about plugdev because it's the typical group that device nodes are created with by udev rules on most popular distros.

it is /dev/ttyUSB0 (zero not the letter) .
plugdev ??? Yep lost me there!

Oh yea I'm a recovering Winders Addict.

Last edited:
Back