Vixen 2 Pixel Controller compatibility

fuzzybubblesiii

What pixel controllers work with vixen2? I use an older pc and vixen 2 because it has a parallel port and I use a 595 controller for my on/off lights. Cant use vixen 3 on the controller pc because There are no driver support above Vista for the motherboard. I have a new RP4 output combo board but I have yet to have any luck figuring out how to use it with vixen 3 on my main pc. My main pc is too new to have a parallel port. I guess I'm in need of a few answers. 1: Should I get a different pixel controller that will work with vixen 2 so I can continue to use the 595 controller? 2: Attempt to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the RP4 output combo board on my main pc and use that with vixen 3? 2B: If I go this route should I order a parallel port expansion card for my pc so I can continue to use the 595 controller? 3: Should I just put the 595 on the shelf and get a newer more modern controller for my string lights and then run it all thru my main pc(Once I can get the RP4 output combo board working)? Just frustrated and looking for a little advice. Thanks!!

If Vixen 2 (have not touched it in years) supports E1.31 then any of the Ethernet / WiFi controllers will work. In addition you could try to use a PX1 to control up to 250 pixels on a USB serial port.

As for the RP4, put FPP on it and have it drive your board using the "outputs->other->GPIO-595" setting. Then you just need to move to a sequencer that can output an FSEQ file for the FPP to play.

If Vixen 2 (have not touched it in years) supports E1.31 then any of the Ethernet / WiFi controllers will work.

I did locate a E1.31 patch for vixen 2. Do not know if its working properly because I have had no luck getting the PR4 combo to do anything on both vixen 2 and the older pc w/parallel for the olsen 595 and my newer pc using vixen 3. Still not convinced the RP4 is isn't the problem to the pixel controller issue. Willing to buy a parallel expansion board for the newer pc so I can continue using the 595 controller for a foe more years until I figure out pixels and switch over completely down the road

As for the RP4, put FPP on it and have it drive your board using the "outputs->other->GPIO-595" setting. Then you just need to move to a sequencer that can output an FSEQ file for the FPP to play.

So your saying FPP will load and properly function on a Renard board? I loaded the firmware on the FPGA board as instructed. Willing to try FPP if it will work on this controller. Thanks for your reply. Definitely some new options to consider...

FPP will load and run on a Raspberry PI including the RP4 (aka Raspberry PI 4). It is possible you mean something else by RP4. At any rate, the FPP application running on a Raspberry PI has A LOT of GPIOs available and it supports a GPIO 595 output mode so somewhere there is a way to connect your 595 controller to a Raspberry PI and have the FPP play a sequence using it. That means that same FPP can output E1.31 data to a pixel controller and it would seem that you have everything you need to move to Vixen three (which generates FSEQ files for the FPP to play). Just did a quick search and the searches come up with ways to attach a 74hct595 shift register to the PI giving you more IO ports. I suggest you ask on the falcon web site if the GPIO-595 is referring the the Lighting controller or the shift register.

Last edited:
Yes I Am referring to a Renard Plus 4 Output Combo not a Raspberry Pi 4. My apologies on the confusion. I have been looking for a good enough reason to get myself a Raspberry Pi and start learning to play with one. Maybe this is the reason. Lol

So it looks like this may be an issue that was already solved. This statement "The Renard-595 Converter (aka Ren-C) board is designed to allow the 64-Channel Olsen 595 and GRINCH controller boards to be controlled through the serial port of a PC. The Ren-C also adds a 192-level dimming capability to these boards." at this site "https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard-595_Converter" would indicate that you can move to a serial port. I looked at the schematics for the Olsen and it IS using a serial protocol. It just so happens that at the time it was developed, most computers did not have serial ports and most all computers had parallel ports.

Looking at it closer, it looks more like a spi interface with clock/data and a chip select to act as a strobe. Three wires, not two. In that case it is very likely that the FPP "GPIO-595" may doe exactly what you need.

Last edited:
You are correct with the Ren-C. I have two bare Ren-C boards acquired when I first got the olsen that I never put together. Also got the Ren-T for the Ren-C and olsen to work properly together. I have just never gotten around to using them or if i could even find everything to put one together. Kinda using original hardware when this hobby really took off. Now that we are in a more permeant home I decided to try to catch up with the times and attempt using pixels. I went with the Renard Plus 4 output combo board because it offers the option of 16 channel ssr control added to the ability to control pixels. I figured I could fully develop the board in the future to utilize the ssr's I use with the 595 once I retire the 595. Completely new to using a pixel controller with a sequencer so I'm not sure if what I have tried so far with the Renard Plus 4 Output Combo is correct. Or if I messed up some how flashing the firmware to the FPGA chip. I'm kinda to the point I'm just going to use the 595 and last years sequences and worry about figuring out this controller or ordering a new one once anyone has anything in stock and try again with a different controller. Feels like I'm hitting a brick wall that I cannot see. Lol

I thought you wanted to continue using the Olsen 595. I looked on the Renard Plus site and I dont see an RP4. Do you have a link to the info page? Yes it is late in the season to be trying to do this. My show has been running since last Friday.

I do want to use the 595 as long as I can. It has continued to work and has not let me down. Fully tested in weather from below freezing and snow in upstate NY to now working as it should in central Florida. Ill see if I can get the parts for the Ren-C and that will solve compatibility with a newer pc running vixen 3.

Here's the link to what I have for a pixel controller.
http://www.renard-shop.com/pixel-controllers/94-renard-plus-4-output-combo.html

I also purchased one of these to program the FPGA.
http://www.renard-shop.com/pixel-controllers/96-renard-plus-blinkey-blaster.html

I do want to use the 595 as long as I can. It has continued to work and has not let me down. Fully tested in weather from below freezing and snow in upstate NY to now working as it should in central Florida. Ill see if I can get the parts for the Ren-C and that will solve compatibility with a newer pc running vixen 3.

Here's the link to what I have for a pixel controller.
http://www.renard-shop.com/pixel-controllers/94-renard-plus-4-output-combo.html

I also purchased one of these to program the FPGA.
http://www.renard-shop.com/pixel-controllers/96-renard-plus-blinkey-blaster.html
The Renard Plus controller takes E1.31 in and outputs both pixel data AND SSR data. You would no longer be using your Olsen board. Vixen with the E1.31 plugin, Vixen 3, xLights and FPP can all play through this board without a problem.

I have attempted to run a test with vixen 3 and the renard plus 4 using the E1.31 setting as a controller. I have yet been able to be successful in getting my ws2811 test strip to do anything. IDK if its an incorrect setting or if the firmware didn't correctly flash to the FPGA chip. I'm at a loss why it wont do anything.

I believe the RP 4 output controller is multicast only. Does the vixen 2 e1.31 driver support multicast?

Not sure what I did but as of last night I got the controller to follow my directions and run my ws2811 test strip!!! For vixen 2 I replaced the plug in file with a new copy. Played with the universe settings and BOOM it magically works with vixen 2. So feeling quite achieved I then hooked it up to my other computer that has vixen 3 on it. Tried setting it all up again and again it is finally listening to me!!! Hahaha. So now for user friendliness I ordered a parallel port card(scheduled for delivery tomorrow)so I can use the 595 controller still and have the ease of controlling pixels with vixen 3 instead of the nightmare it takes to control them in vixen 2. On to bigger and brighter flashy things. Lol

Back