Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

ctmal

Supporting Member
So, this is really a post asking if there is any interest. I've created a new preview for Vixen 2.x, I'm calling it Blitzen preview. Currently it's set up for my display but if anyone interested I can make things more configurable for other displays.

So, the why?
For years I've been frustrated with the Adjustable preview because it takes too much time to edit and I end up with colors blending instead of seeing separate colors. This was really evident in the minitrees and anything else that uses a lot of ramps and fades.

So, what I made is a preview that I think is easier to set up(I drew my whole display in about 5 - 10 minutes) and solves the issue colors blending.
In general, you draw shapes that are assigned to channels and it renders bulbs for each of those channels so that they are not on top of each other(a link to a video will be at the end).

Also, I added a dimming curve. It's display wide at this point. Basically the hope is it will help me get a better view of how the fade, shimmers, etc. will look on my display in real life.

Here's a introduction video to show how it works and I'll post the files to be downloaded if you want to try it shortly.
https://youtu.be/QDrxgZKX8YY

Here is a link to the download if you want to give it a try.
http://ctm.maloneylights.com/downloads/

Let me know what you think and if you think this would be any help to you.

Chris.

Last edited:
Very interesting Chris. I have wondered if there is any interest in a AC "onlyish" sequencer. It will be interesting to see how many people download your preview. It looks really nice. Wish it had been around in 2014.

Thanks Mike, I'm kind of curious too.

That looks easier than the regular preview to get the effects. I'm still an incandescent user with Renards and Vixen 2.1. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up my display as is. I would like to try this preview if I change my setup to a more senior friendly design. Hope you continue to develop it so when I need it I'll be able to find it.

I'm a pixel user but I can appreciate the investment you put into making this preview. I started light displays back with the first version of Vixen (and a VB6 app I wrote) and DIY parallel port controlled mechanical relays and things have changed so much over the years. (I still have half a dozen REN24HCs up in the attic.) Thanks for taking the time to improve the hobby even if its audience is still A/C users.

I can't help but ask, but why is it worth the effort to write a new preview module for software that's been dead for 10 years? What is it about Vixen 2 that keeps you from moving forward to the more modern options? Vixen 3 is a great sequencer for AC lights. I'd go as far as saying it's better than Vixen 2, even just for AC lights.

That looks easier than the regular preview to get the effects. I'm still an incandescent user with Renards and Vixen 2.1. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up my display as is. I would like to try this preview if I change my setup to a more senior friendly design. Hope you continue to develop it so when I need it I'll be able to find it.

The dll file will always be available from the link above. I have no plans of abandoning it.

I'm a pixel user but I can appreciate the investment you put into making this preview. I started light displays back with the first version of Vixen (and a VB6 app I wrote) and DIY parallel port controlled mechanical relays and things have changed so much over the years. (I still have half a dozen REN24HCs up in the attic.) Thanks for taking the time to improve the hobby even if its audience is still A/C users.

Thanks for the nice comment. It's appreciated.

I can't help but ask, but why is it worth the effort to write a new preview module for software that's been dead for 10 years? What is it about Vixen 2 that keeps you from moving forward to the more modern options? Vixen 3 is a great sequencer for AC lights. I'd go as far as saying it's better than Vixen 2, even just for AC lights.

That's a fair question. I tried Vixen 3 years ago and even submitted some tutorials for writing effects and submitted some fixes for (now defunct I believe) mark manager. Unfortunately, I found it to be a lot more work than Vixen 2. I know that probably has changed by now so at some point I'll give it a try but we'll see. I've looked for some examples recently but all I found was examples for pixels so I gave up.

I can give more details if you'd like but I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Vixen 3 because I'm not. I think its great, just for me, I find Vixen 2 to be easier and better for non pixel displays.

Also, it gives me something to play with programming wise. Little projects like this really do help in crafting a better more organized style(although I still think I have a long way to go).

... Unfortunately, I found it to be a lot more work than Vixen 2. I know that probably has changed by now so at some point I'll give it a try but we'll see. ... I think its great, just for me, I find Vixen 2 to be easier and better for non pixel displays.

I still use Vixen 2.5 and I felt the same way when I tried Vixen 3 when it was first coming out. I felt like it was mostly focused on pixel control and I didn't feel like I had the same amount of control of the lights when trying to program the same AC effects.
Either way, I really appreciate Chris's work on this new previewer and will save me tons of time when my display changes. I've been putting off updating my previewer for some time because of the time it takes.

I've made a couple improvements and uploaded them to the same url as the original post.
In the update:
On the left side, there's a tab called properties that now shows any shapes or tools you have selected. If the shape has editable properties(right now, only the Megatree does), you can change them there.
As for editable properties, if you change the property of the shape itself, it only affects the shape. If you change the property in the tool, it affects any shape of that type that you draw after the change.
When a tool is selected, I changed the key to allow you to move the shape to alt instead of ctrl....because.....
You can now select multiple shapes and move them as a group.
Also, there's now a build for Vixen 2.5 as well as 2.1.

Another update has been posted.
Fixed:
-Using the arch shape can cause a crash(unless you use it exactly the way I do...ha).
-I noticed arches weren't mapping channels correctly if you're trying to go from right to left.

Added:
-Per a suggestion, if you draw an arch from bottom to top, it will draw upside down. Good for all you people that need smiley faces.
-You can now copy and paste multiple selected shapes at once. (read note below).

There appears to be a little confusion on moving objects, so here's a brief description.
If you are in select mode, by either pressing the arrow in the toolbar or pressing the escape key(the cursor will be an arrow), you can select objects and move them just by clicking on them and dragging the mouse.
If you want to select multiple shapes, press and hold down the control key. Note, if multiple items are selected and you click without the ctrl key, only a single item gets selected. So, to move all selected objects, press the ctrl key first.

Here's where the real confusion is. The alt key. You only need to use the alt key to move a shape if you have a tool selected(the cursor is the crosshairs). If you don't press the alt key when a drawing tool is selected, it will think you want to draw.
This was added just as a (very) minor convenience. If you never want to mess with it, just press the escape key to get to select mode.

A quick note about copying multiple shapes. When you copy a shape or shapes, after you paste it, or them, the pasted shapes are selected. If you want to move all the selected shapes, press the ctrl key before clicking on them to move them. Otherwise it thinks you're trying to select a single shape.
I believe I have this all in the help in the menubar also.

There's a couple more things I want to add but for the most part, I think it's looking pretty good.

Let me know if I blew anything up.

Chris

Another day, another update.

Changes:
Mostly just underlying stuff to make my life easier.
Both the Arches and the Posts now have the options for multiple colors.
You can now name the shapes if you'd like. It's not mandatory but could help in some situations.

A fix I don't plan to make...I notice my Candy Canes aren't very realistic. If they were, I'd have at least one blown over and probably one not working(they're incandescents).

Let me know if there are any issues. At this point, I think the wish lists are complete(feel free to remind me if I missed anything).

Chris

I'm just curious if anyone used this preview this year and if so, how'd it work out for you. According to the download stats there were over 4000. I don't believe that number to be true but I hope so.

Hi Chris

Not tried it myself buy will test over the next few weeks.

Any chance of detaching the Ledtriks module and making it a standalone mini-app?

Hi Chris

Not tried it myself buy will test over the next few weeks.

Any chance of detaching the Ledtriks module and making it a standalone mini-app?

I think you would have to rewrite it to separate it from vixen. Since the source code isn't available it can't be modified directly.

LedTriksUtil.dll
LedTriksOutput.dll
VirtualLedTriks.dll

are all in the /plugins/output/ folder :biggrin::biggrin2:

My approach about 10+ years ago was to use those with a new independent interface to edit/create .led files
got in over my head with too many things and had to drop a bunch of projects, never really had the chops for it.

If you want to give it a try again, let me know and I can help you out. Depending on exactly what you want though. It's probably easier to write one yourself.

Forgive the Capt'n, but how do you get Blitzen into the Available Plugins so you can choose it?

No worries.

Download the .zip file.
Extract it.
Open either the Vixen21 folder(if you're using Vixen 2.1) or Vixen25(if you're using Vixen2.5)
Copy the .dll file to {your vixen directory}\Plugins\Output\

When you open Vixen again, it should be available in your output plugins.

Let me know if that helped.

Back