Vixen 3.0 Sample Sequences

RichF

Ok I am not from the show me state but I do like to see examples. Are there any vixen 3.0 samples out in the wild so I can look to see how think will look in the end after I am done. Nothing fancy is needed just something to see how it all fits together in the various modules.

Ok I am not from the show me state but I do like to see examples. Are there any vixen 3.0 samples out in the wild so I can look to see how think will look in the end after I am done. Nothing fancy is needed just something to see how it all fits together in the various modules.

I don't have any sequence files (still have to do this year's, so far!), but I've got videos of last year's display up (which were also running vixen 3) which might give you an idea of what it can do if that's any help?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgOrwJO4ik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ER1kl6w8Po

sallZor

I think I know what it can do I was just looking for an example of how it is done on the pc. I have created a small 1 min seq last night and every time I go to play it the Software crashes.

sallZor

I think I know what it can do I was just looking for an example of how it is done on the pc. I have created a small 1 min seq last night and every time I go to play it the Software crashes.

Ouch, that's no good. That shouldn't happen; can you give more info of what's happening?

If you could make a ticket for it (bugs.vixenlights.com), and attach your log files and system config XML files, as well as any info on what you're doing and what's happening, I'll get that fixed up or figured out right away.

Thanks!
Michael

Sallz0r how long did last years take you to make. ive just started this years and am feeling the time crunch without being able to import anything.

Sallz0r how long did last years take you to make. ive just started this years and am feeling the time crunch without being able to import anything.

Can't quite remember off the top of my head, sorry; however, I *can* say that it was significantly faster than 2.x.

If I had to guess, I'd say about 4 - 12 hours per song, compared to about 30-40 per song in 2.x. (That's mainly because I'm a bit of a perfectionist with the sequences, so take longer than I should....)

Can't quite remember off the top of my head, sorry; however, I *can* say that it was significantly faster than 2.x.

If I had to guess, I'd say about 4 - 12 hours per song, compared to about 30-40 per song in 2.x. (That's mainly because I'm a bit of a perfectionist with the sequences, so take longer than I should....)

Bravo! I just came back from looking at some of your sequences. Great job! Normally what I find is that most people that boast they have a high number of lights and a high channel count, that they can't sequence for crap. In fact one of the largest displays I have seen, the guy couldn't even keep a beat...just kept flashing things on/off. But your work showed me that a good job can be done with a high channel count. The question though lies in the sequencing time.

I only have a meager 16 channels at the moment, but I do put quite a bit of time into properly sequencing the music. As such a single song can easily take a week or so programming anywhere from 1 to 4 hours each day. So yeah, I was putting quite a bit of time into each song. NOW, next year I am going up the ante to 72 channels and I realize that using Vixen 2.x this is going to take a VERY long time per song. Naturally I don't want to start programming my songs starting in July, so I knew something else had to be don in terms of my continuing to use Vixen 2.x.

Enter this thread. So this is the first time I have seen Vixen 3.x in use and I am impressed with what I have seen. So you were able to program your shows within 4 - 12 hours...with all those channels using Vixen 3.x? THAT is very impressive. I am definitely going to need this. I know I will never have as many channels as you have, but once I start to get into RGB work, I am going to HAVE to use Vixen 3.x.

I know that Vixen 3.x is still in beta testing right now, so how is it working for you? Did you experience any bugs with the program?

Thank You,

Geo

I know that Vixen 3.x is still in beta testing right now, so how is it working for you? Did you experience any bugs with the program?

Yes -- but simply because no one else had really been using it or testing it yet. Seeing as I'm one of the developers, it's a perfect excuse to be a guinea pig for the experiment and find major bugs through being a user of the software. ;-)

i have a mostly complete song that i would be willing to post but the sequence file is about 20 megs so its going to have to wait till i get some time to upload it too my server. maybe ill get to it before the week is up

Last edited:
So the sequence files in vixen 3.0 are that big. wow. Seems like vixen will not be as portable as it was. Well at least not on my 3.5" floppies.

i have a mostly complete song that i would be willing to post but the sequence file is about 20 megs so its going to have to wait till i get some time to upload it too my server. maybe ill get to it before the week is up

Aah -- it's mostly redundant XML. You can probably compress it, with a decent 7zip or RAR or something that should dramatically reduce.

So the sequence files in vixen 3.0 are that big. wow. Seems like vixen will not be as portable as it was. Well at least not on my 3.5" floppies.

Yeah, it's horrible at the moment -- it's on the agenda to redo the serialization to files. about 99% of it is redundant information, to be perfectly honest. :) So it'll be a lot better in future, just bad for now.

In time It will all come together. Just looking to see how the sequence is really constructed. I started making elements the other night and I think there needs to be a tool to mass enter items.

For example. I have 4 colors on each item. It takes time to make an element 4 times and rename it for each color. But then again maybe I am doing it wrong.

In time It will all come together. Just looking to see how the sequence is really constructed. I started making elements the other night and I think there needs to be a tool to mass enter items.

For example. I have 4 colors on each item. It takes time to make an element 4 times and rename it for each color. But then again maybe I am doing it wrong.

you only have to make the element once and then you can patch out the 4 different colors to different outputs so for example if you have a star with red green blue and white leds on it with red on Renard 1 green on 2 blue on 3 and white on 4 you can make a node in vixen called star sequence it setting the colors using the color tools in the effects and then in the patching you would say red goes to this ch and so on and so fourth

Yes but with 20 Mini trees I need to say I have 4 colors per mini tree and then I have to create 20 elements with 4 sub elements for each tree.

Or am I still wrong.

Yes but with 20 Mini trees I need to say I have 4 colors per mini tree and then I have to create 20 elements with 4 sub elements for each tree.

Or am I still wrong.

still looking at it the wrong way you would just create the 20 Mini tree elements. the patching will handle breaking out the colors. i don't have any non pixel elements that are multi colored but my understanding is that your "Channels and groups" would look like this

-Mini Trees
--Mini Tree 1
--Mini Tree 2
--Mini Tree 3
--Mini Tree 4
--Mini Tree 5
--Mini Tree 6

and your patching would look like this

_Mini Tree 1 ------- Color Break Down ----- Board Output 1
------Board Output 2
------- Board Output 3
-------- Board output 4

-Mini Tree 2 ------- Color Break Down ----- Board Output 5
------Board Output 6
------- Board Output 7
-------- Board output 8

at some point yes you will have to tell the software that there the trees have different colors you can do it for all of the trees with the wizard, i guess its hard to explain. in vixen 3 the goal is to stop thinking about things in terms of channels or colors but in terms of elements. so if you had a megatree that had red green and blue with 75 strings of lights incited of having to make 225 channels to sequence on you would make a group called megatree with 75 nodes under the group. then when sequencing you just sequence on the group and tell vixen the color you want to happen. so if you wanted to turn on all 75 strands of lights to green you would drop a set level effect and define it as green in the main megatree group. if you wanted to do a spin effect around the tree and slowly change the colors you would just do that on the main megatree group as well. the only time you would need to touch the 75 individual stands would be if you just wanted to turn on one strand in the group.

Back