Vixen 3.3 preview playback slows down over time

madsci1016

Running about 27 universes of channels, all mapped to sACN but with controllers stopped.

Playback with preview while sequencing works great at first, but gradually over the course of an hour of sequencing starts to jitter, slow down, miss frames etc. Save sequence progress, close Vixen fully, open again and playback is back to normal snappy self. Cycle repeats.

Win 10 Intel 6th gen i5, 16GB ram, SSD, vixen 3,3 release.

I apparently have .net 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 installed. I clean that up to see if it helps.

Bill

Last edited:
Are you switching to different sequences within the hour or are you working within one sequence? I would be interested in getting some diagnostic dumps if you are willing. Start out by playing the sequence through and then open the task manager, find the Vixen process and right click and choose create dump. Note the location it saves it. Then continue on sequencing the same sequence until you notice the issue occur. Create another dump. Zip both of those up and attach them to a bug report at bugs.vixenlights.com.

Same sequence the entire time. Removing all the .net < 4.6 seemed to have helped, but I also switched sequences.

If it persists I'll submit a bug report.

It did not help. I created an account on your bug tracker but as the dumps are 220MB compressed each it won't upload. I'm using google drive and I'll hit submit when they are uploaded.

It does not seem to be affected by time, as I can let it sit all day and playback is snappy. It seems to be affected by how much actual sequencing I do. The more creating or cut and pasting I do, the chopper playback gets.

Jeff, let me know what you come up with. I'm experiencing the same issue. After 20 or so minutes the preview is out of sync with the music. I generally have to shut down a restart for it to correct itself.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

So far I have not been able to find a source for this problem. I sequenced the other day for about 2 hours without seeing it, but I am working on Halloween now which is only about 2000 channels for me. I have been using the dev builds and and recently the 3.3u1 RC candidate for my sequencing. The 3.3u1 release is getting close and there have been some memory fixes and stuff in it so I would be interested to see if that has any effect for you two that have reported it. I have not seen any other reports of it so far.

If you still see it with 3.3u1 then we will probably need to try getting a series of dumps when the problem is occurring so I can do some more investigation.

I agree with madsci1016 about the copy and paste being the possible issue. I'm doing a lot of that and the more I do the worse my playback preview gets.

Ok, I can say that I have not done an unusual amount of copy and pasting. I drag and clone more than copy and paste. I'll take a test sequence and try doing a bunch of that to see what happens.

For my info, are you still using the 3.3 release version and are you on Win 10 yet?

I am interested in knowing if the 3.3u1 release solves this problem the two of you were seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually haven't looked. Most of what I'm sequencing is live in the garage. I've noticed that the actual displays, especially the megatree, seems to be a little choppy. I use the Pinwheel it starts and stops. I'll look tomorrow and see if anything changed.
FYI. Today I had an issue with 2-6804's not working. The Wiznet lights weren't flashing. I replace it with one that worked from another 6804 and it didn't work. I replace the one back into the controller that worked and the 6804 didn't work. Now I have 2-6804's that aren't working. I figured it was the Wiznets so I ordered 3 from Mouser. Then I was reading the manual on the 6804 and it said the lights come on when there's a valid Internet connection. So I went downstairs and surely enough one connection hanging from the ceiling came loose. Nice. 1 controller works but still one doesn't. Problem solved when I realized I disconnected it last night and plugged it back in to the wrong socket. Duh! This hobby can be extremely frustrating especially when the problem is operator error and the operator is, well, nuts. That's me. In any case I'll now have 3 spare Wiznets and everything works. Sheesh!

Back