Vixen 3.9u5 crashes when video starts to play

TomsLEDs

Supporting Member
Just sprucing up last years sequences that played without a problem. Most are fine but when this is Halloween video starts, the preview window freezes, then closes Especially if you click anywhere on the screen. The audio is still running. Clicking anywhere else will get you the Program not responding banner. It will either close out completely or use Task Manger to kill the program. So far this is the only part of any sequence that will kill the preview screen response but it does it every single time.

I just moved the video further down the time line to test and that is the problem. It looks like all video gets redirected somewhere off the screen.

Found another bug with the video tool. I inserted a short video on a different sequence that played okay beforehand. As soon as the file inserted the preview screen was unresponsive abd only showed the background picture. The timeline was still moving but nothing displayed.

More info: I just tried this same sequence on my old Surface Pro 1 tablet and it played. It may be a nVidia driver related bug.

I guess disregard this report for now; today it played just fine off my PC. Will report back if I find anything.

Last edited:
It came back after 30 - 40 minutes. Shutting down and restarting does bot help. Maybe someone can look at this error log and point me in the right direction?
Vixen error log.PNG

Another observation after updating the video driver with no help. If I let the sequence play and not click on anything, at around the 80% mark, the video returns and is in sync. If I restart the sequence it plays as normal. It seems the video buffer is taking an extreme amount of time to load.

It gets better. After a few small changes I clicked to save and thas is what happens:

09/07/2023 22:03:19.621 [VixenModules.Effect.Effect.PixelEffectBase] Unable to delete all the video temp files. System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file '01959.bmp' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at VixenModules.Effect.Video.Video.RemoveTempFiles() at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at VixenModules.Effect.Video.Video.RemoveTempFiles()
09/07/2023 22:03:24.719 [Common.Controls.Timeline.Grid] Grid: background rendering didn't finish. Forcibly killing.

09/07/2023 22:01:08.090 [VixenApplication.Program] An application error occurred. Please contact the Vixen Dev Team with the following information:

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
at VixenModules.Editor.TimedSequenceEditor.TimedSequenceEditorForm.SaveGridRowSettings()
at VixenModules.Editor.TimedSequenceEditor.TimedSequenceEditorForm.SaveSequence(String filePath, Boolean forcePrompt)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
at VixenModules.Editor.TimedSequenceEditor.TimedSequenceEditorForm.SaveGridRowSettings()
at VixenModules.Editor.TimedSequenceEditor.TimedSequenceEditorForm.SaveSequence(String filePath, Boolean forcePrompt)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Last edited:
After lots of troubleshooting I found this is a Microsoft bug and not Vixen. Windows decided it would be great to install the Vixen directories in Onedrive online folders instead of my hard drive. Onedrive became full and the OS could not write to the folder any longer. Explains the stupid long render elements times on my longest sequences. It all makes sense now. End up copying my files to the hard drive, disabling Ondrive and reinstall Vixen. Runs great now.

Back