Vixen 3 Lip Sync Overview

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any email updates. Also, when I check the ticket it still shows as unresolved. I'm glad to hear that the issue was fixed. Should I just grab the latest dev build? Or is there a stable 3.4 version I should try?

Grab Version 3.4, this is a major release and the most stable.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any email updates. Also, when I check the ticket it still shows as unresolved. I'm glad to hear that the issue was fixed. Should I just grab the latest dev build? Or is there a stable 3.4 version I should try?

Actually I think I had your issue confused with another. Yours is still marked as new. That being said. Download and install the 3.4 release. I think it'll help with your issue.

I have not had a chance to look at his issue specifically since he opened the ticket, so I can't say if it will fix it or not. I have it on my list to take a look at in the next few days.

Hi Ed/Support

When I create a word using lipsync it seems the bright intensity defaults to 100%.

Where can I lower bright intensity for Lipsync words?

Version 3.4u3 Build #508

Thank you
Javier

There's a few different ways you can do this. which you choose depends on whether that element should always be dimmed by a fixed level, or if you want to be able to variably dim it over the course of a sequence, or if you want it fixed for a given lipsync mapping. The first two methods are universal and aren't lipsync specific.

If a you want a certain element to always be dimmed by a certain amount, you'd do this by setting up dimming curves for those elements in the display setup screen.

If you want to be able to vary the brightness over time, then you'll want to use layers. Set up a new layer as an intensity overlay type. Then you can use set levels or pulse effects assigned to that layer. These effects will serve to modify the intensity of the effects on the lower layer.

The last method would be to modify the lipsync map to use colors that are less bright. This method is lipsync specific since it works by modifying the mapping.

Hello

I'm using the Lip Sync feature to map a face to my mega tree. I cant figure out how to blink the eyes using the stock phonemes. Any suggestions?

Jim

Last edited:
Hello

I'm using the Lip Sync feature to map a face to my mega tree. I cant figure out how to blink the eyes using the stock phonemes. Any suggestions?

Jim
The current lipsync effect doesn't manage the eyes at all. you can either include them in all the phonemes, or not. If you want to animate the eyes separately from the lips, you'd need to do that separately. If you want the eyes to normally be on whenever the lipsync effect is present and showing a phoneme, you're best off to include the eyes in the mapping to the phonemes and then do the blinking manually.

Lights for eyes can be arranged in different ways, but the most common is where you would turn off the top half of the eye to make it look closed. To get this kind of eyes to blink, you use a black set level on an intensity overlay layer above the layer the lipsync effects are on. You'd put this black set level onto the top half element where you want the blink to be. If you want to randomize the blinking you can play around with using a different effect like the twinkle to control the blink.

Another style of eyes has each eye set up with an outline around the eye and a line across the middle. With this style, you'd have the eye set up as two elements and you'd toggle between the two for open and close. in this case, you would still use the layered set level as above, to make the outer eye turn off for the blink. But you will also need to turn on the inner line. For this you'd use a white set level on the inner line element. this white effect would be on the same layer as the lipsync effect, not the intensity overlay layer.

We're actively working on a revamp of the whole lipsync system for this year's release (late summer). This will include easier ways to control the eyes. We're planning on including automatic randomized blinking in there since it's a common request. Even though it's commonly requested, most people don't realize that actual random blinking really doesn't look that natural. There's a lot more that goes into blinking naturally. We hope to get something that looks reasonably close.

Back