vixen and DMX

i haven' never messed with pixels but for this year i want to start with DUMB RGB I understand that the an entire string of smart pixels can be one color as well, i just feel more comfortable starting off with the dumb pixels My question is when adding a DMX controller to vixen do what option do i use DMX PRO or DMX OPEN ? thanks in advance

Don't do DUMB RGB. But if you have already, then the answer lies in what hardware you are using to interface. What kind of dongle do you have? Do you have an open or a pro? Likely that any cheap 485 style dongle will use dmx open.

I deleted my 16 channel DMX controller last year. I was using one section of my Sans E386 controller in DMX mode. I did not use Pro so it must have been open. Worked well, I'm just eliminating all the static props. Now running 4 maxed out E386 cards so I will need to build another this year.

The products you mention are both for USB connection to the host PC.

Either will work - if you want to save some money just get a USB to RS485 converter, that does exactly the same as the DMX open. That's what I use. I think the PRO version offers better electrical isolation etc. The only thing missing is a DMX style XLR connector.

DMX is just serial data, specifically it's differential which is what the RS485 gives you.

You'll need a physical DMX interface [which others are correct in referencing the Max485.
(I ordered like 12 of them for $20 off Amazon; they're dirt cheap (not just the chip but it's already on a dev board.)

I would suggest and encourage you to put together a couple wireless DMX nodes/bridges.

Combine one of the MAx485 boards with an ESP8266 or ESP32, and flash one of a couple open source and freely avaiable library's and code ...
For under $10 they're handy..

Don't waste you money with EntTec (such as on their Pro. (I own two EntTec Pro's;). The Pro's can be flashed (easily using Enttec software (i.e. EMU) to flash a newer firmware version which gives it RDM suppport and capability. I tried a few times, tinkering with RDM and OLA, and only reverted back to earlier NON-rdm firmware and finding no use for or benefit from RDM in my case.

You might also look at QLC+ (ver 4; avoid ver 5).. Either LC or OLA to act as a bridge; networking your DMX fixtures. Also allowign your to 'mix' protocols and different programs being able to communicate to and with your DMX fixtures. I prefer SaCN (ArtNet variation) .

Lastsly, IF you wanna be hardwired with some Cat5/6, instead of going wireess via an ESP, you can most definately pickup an ESP with integrated Ethernet or add on ethernet (like the 8260's).

Software wise, I'd reccomend QLC (being a Windows app and pretty user friendly, also has a nice virtual console whereby you can custom create a web based control pabel for your dmx fixtures.

As for Vixen, I prefer Sacn and thus added a SACN controller which is patched o

I've attached a screenshot of a big musical fountain, in which we configured all the water pumps to utilize fewest possibe channels (dmx) thus simplifying programming.. Theere is acctually four corners, and then 4 Vertical Jets in which we split up into the Outter Jets and Inner Jets, and then a massive Flower in the center,

This year having replaced all pumps, found a cheaper brand (VivoHome), under $200 per pump (their largest submersible 2" pump which pushes over 9000 gal's per hou. If curious we utilize Elation 4 Channel DMX Dimmers in order to control the Water Pumps and teir dmx level (aka intensity).

Feel free to ask me any DMX related Questions; my experience is in & with DMX to date, freshly 'new' to Christmas lighting (havn't done so, yet) and just in the process of adapting Vixen to our needs and use scenario along with the custom development (and coding) of Vixen in the process.

vixendmx.JPG

Interesting! I'd already thought about how Vixen could be used to control a fountain / light show to music. I only have a small garden pond so it's not to be in my place. Maybe if I have a bigger plot some day!

Back