W5200_Driver - Parallax Object of the week

DynamoBen

Super Moderator
Looks like my W5200 driver made object of the week over on the parallax website...WOOT!

Attachments

• Object of the Week.jpg
    Object of the Week.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 100
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was wondering how you handle assigning a unique MAC address in your driver. I'm working with a few others to use the 5200 in an arduino based wireless bridge project. The arduino library provided by wiznet uses a fixed MAC address. We have a few ideas but I was wondering how others are handling it.

I believe Ben uses a chip with a built-in mac address. I store my mac address in eeprom. The 1st 3 bytes are always the same. At startup, I read the mac address from eeprom, and if the 1st 3 bytes aren't correct, (typically meaning the 1st time the program runs), I assume that a mac has never been generated. If that's the case I run a random number generator object and generate 3 random numbers in the range of 0-255. Those become the last 3 bytes of the mac, and then the mac is written to eeprom.

Those two ideas are the exact same two methods we were considering. Steve just got it working with the create random on first run method. I think we're going to stick with that. Thanks!

Those two ideas are the exact same two methods we were considering. Steve just got it working with the create random on first run method. I think we're going to stick with that. Thanks!

As long as you never leave a private LAN this will work, just know that it's not technically the "right" solution.

Since this project is a multicast sACN receiver, it'll never be on the public Internet anyhow since multicast doesn't work on the Internet. So I think we'll be fine. Thanks for the heads up though.

Back