Walmart Candy canes

O

Omnicef

WAlking through my local Walmart yesterday and they had candy canes about 3' tall, with lights that were seperate items. About 2.30 each. No cutting soldering or nothing! Waiting to see how they sell and maybe pick up some at a discount. This looks like something they bought a lot of and is not selling well as they had a LOT of them.

I have 10 of those candy canes in red and green in the big tree in front of my house. They look great, and I have not had any problems with them. I will be looking to pick up another 20-30 in the day after sale.

I have 18 of them lined up in the front of my house. You can see them in my videos on my www link below. The only problem with them is the stakes break VERY easily. A good fix for this is 1" PVC with the bottom cut at an angle and the back side slotted for the wires. The PVC fits in nice and tight, I used no tape and they hold perfectly! I have had several of mine for years and only have a couple bulbs that have gone out, but they are easy to replace.

setup%2011-20%20(5).JPG

I just picked up 30 of these also to use as a front fence to keep people out of the yard. I might even string lights between them if I can make it look good. They were easy to install with a rope to guide them straight. Each one is on a different channel so I will have some fun making them chase.
- Michael

I'm biting my tongue... hate to admit when I messed up.
But I purchased 11 boxes of 3/box @ $10 each box from Home Depot. Then had to modify each (Add a $70 cents SPT1 plug on the end).

A few weeks ago, I also noticed those at home depot and just shook my head, oh well... this hobby is a money pit anyway.... whats another $40 wasted ;(

I bought 30 for $1 each at WallyWorld last year, setting them up in a tree shape once I get my Ren24 built.

I bought so much after Christmas last year, I'm still looking for places to put it all..:)

tom

I bought 20 of the after Christmas last year for $1. and the still had a ton left. I bet there were at least 100 more.

Lou

Hey xmus I bought some of the HD candy canes as well but they are linked together so I figured it was one light set. I also don't like how close they are to each other thats easy to resolve by extending the cords. I didn't try to cut the cords and run them individually. I am checking to ensure that is what you did ? I don't want to have them go up in smoke one at a time. I really want to run them 1 per channel so let me know how it worked out for you.

Jwells, yeah just chop the cord between the HD candy canes and put a plug on there, it worked for me! :)

Not to over simplify shortening light strings, but, if you see three wires between group of lights A and group of lights B don't cut. But when you see two wires between group A and B, cut freely, and apply 120VAC.

Worst case it will explode, but that hasn't happened to me yet. Look really closely at a 25 or 50 or 100 foot string of lights, every 12.5 feet or so, there are only two wires... which means, you can cut a 25 foot strand into two pieces, and a 50 foot strand into 4 pieces, and a 100 foot strand into 8 pieces.

Michael said:
I just picked up 30 of these also to use as a front fence to keep people out of the yard. I might even string lights between them if I can make it look good. They were easy to install with a rope to guide them straight. Each one is on a different channel so I will have some fun making them chase.
- Michael
i would line my driveway in florida with these. i used floral wire to secure a string of lights to them at the top of the bend. make it tight or they will slip.

Back