waterproof enclisures for the ss24 and ss16

The CG-2000 for the SS24 and the CG-1000 for the SS16 are great enclosures and when mounted properly will keep the controller dry. I ship my Kits with them and use them myself.

All of my Renard controllers live in 5 Gallon or 2.5 Gallon buckets. When I started I was taking the time to pain them green, Then I found you couldn't see them at night anyway. So I now leave them. A few are Home Depot Homer buckets, others are from when my neighbor put on an addition and had empty Spackle buckets.

I cut a piece of coro to the size of the bucket, slide it into the bucket, mount the board to it. I use romex connectors to have the cables enter/exit the buckets, and use silicone to seal. I always cover the buckets with black plastic garbage bags (Dollar store).

I use various enclosures, water tight wooden boxes with plexiglass windows for some of my 8 channel 120v ssr's.
Kirkland / Lysol wipe containers for smaller controllers, invert them and run the cables in and out of the hole you pull the wipes out of drill a couple of small holes at the lowest point of the lid when inverted and place a 5 gallon pail over the top for added protection.
Also I have used a 1 gallon windshield washer fluid bottle for my 5v power supply and a pixel stick placed inside of a small Rubbermaid rough tote. I cut a door /flap on 1 side of the gallon jug mount the power supply in the jug and the pixel stick on the flap run the cables in and out of the filler hole drill a drain hole in the handle for condensation drainage invert and place in the tote on end with cables exiting facing down a couple of screws around the edge to hold the lid on.

I'll use any plastic fluid container that the equipment fits into and drill holes for condensation drains at all low points keep it off the ground with stakes a stone what ever you have and put a secondary cover over it.

Just a side note regarding the pixel stick I did have some stuttering it wasn't all the time so I think network interference. It may be possible due to the close proximity to the power supply?
I just counted the local networks that my laptop is locating and there is 23 networks that I see, plus smart hydro meters in the area with xbees in them.

Have fun, Ron

I don't think of any of the usual enclosures as "waterproof", more like water resistant. The Wiki has a lot of information about enclosures http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Enclosures
Jack is right, most cases are water resistant, like the CG2000, and CG1000. I have used those cases since 2008 and never had an issue. They are perfect for the Renards. I have recently gone to the MTM ammo cases (ACR5 or ACR8), and they are waterproof. Depending on where you live, you may have to vent these and add a fan. If you are starting out, I would stick with WayneJ's suggestion. Again, how you mount them is important so that water can't intrude.

Back