What do YOU (the user) want to see in Vixen 3? What feedback do you have?

Derek,

Macabrerob has a nice widget in his new Elf Preview that does Mega-Trees including spirals. In addition to the info for a regular tree he ask for number of twists and direction, clockwise or counterclockwise and he has an algorithim that draws the spirals. The Elf Preview mega-tree is based on strings not individual pixels.

While playing with and learning Vixen 3.0.6 I thought about having a simpler layout to practice with. In Vixen 2.x we had profiles and I have several different 'flavors' of profiles that I can use if I want to adjust my layout with a click instead of having to either add or delete from my layout in Vixen 3. Was curious if there is anything in the planning stages for a similar function to profiles of old.

That feature is on the way. Probably not in this very next version (3.0.7) but maybe the one after that.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That feature is on the way. Probably not in this very next version (3.0.7) but maybe the one after that.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great news! Its one thing I have definitely been waiting/hoping for. I have been using V3.x for a lot of my komby board development and testing and its something preventing me from doing my show setup in V3 because i need to have the ability to switch between profiles not just for display preview but also controller patching and filters. Would be really awesome to be able to continue using my current setup for development as well as (sometime soon hopefully!) get my show setup going!...

How about the ability to rotate objects in the display preview?
I want to do a section with marching candy canes. One straight one at an angle. Just a thought would be cool.

Hi.

Firstley, I got Vix 3.0.8 today. Well done guys. Amazing software and a huge improvement over even 3.0.7.

My suggestion would be to have an effect that allows music to be mapped to show something like the old graphic equalizer display.
I have a chimney that I am putting a 16w x 45h pixel grid on and would love to be able to do that easier than making it pixel by pixel.

Again thanks for all the efforts guys.

Josh

Hi.

Firstley, I got Vix 3.0.8 today. Well done guys. Amazing software and a huge improvement over even 3.0.7.

My suggestion would be to have an effect that allows music to be mapped to show something like the old graphic equalizer display.
I have a chimney that I am putting a 16w x 45h pixel grid on and would love to be able to do that easier than making it pixel by pixel.

Again thanks for all the efforts guys.

Josh

Plus one on this one for sure.

First of all, I'm amazed by this software have spend a few evenings playing with my 131 pixel star and love it, some things are hard to figure out at first but that will get better once more vid's and docs are available.

I worked a lot with groups and nesting them several layers deep. on my wishlist would be;

• have a button to reverse the members of a group or nested group
  • shortcut for temp disable magnet
  • shortcut for pasting directly after last block and toggle lock to editing 1 line only
  • apply to nested level option for all effects, especially nutcracker
  • in preview edit the starting point of a predefined figure like stars (would have saved an extremely lot of work in my case)
  • rotate predefined objects like star in preview design
  • select points in preview and make a group of that (number 1 on wishlist)
  • have a floating window that you can safe multiple effect blocks on and then paste them in a sequence like cntrl+1, ctrl+2 etc.
  • have little icon that tells you a group nested below is animated, searched my ass of sometimes with a lot of nested layers to find where that effect was coming from :).

just some ideas and I could think of many more...

Thanks again for this amazing piece of software, I'm pretty handy with 3dsmax, Maya and other 3d tools if I can return the favor in any form let me know, keep up the good work guys!

Last edited:
Ive been playing with V 3.0.9 and loving it. A few of the features Id like to see:

A copy feature similar to AutoCAD. When clicking and dragging an effect from one line to another, if shift was held while dragging it would create a new instance of the effect while leaving the original in place. I know how to copy/paste but this would be nice.

On the web interface, which is awesome for testing out in the yard, the ability to start a sequence or show.

On the sequencer control panel, a button to start the next sequence in the schedule, and play it once through, so you wouldn't have to edit the schedule if you wanted to run a test show.

A delay for the play button, for when you have to click play and run outside to watch how the sequence starts, the best alternative I have found for this now is my kids. :)

A toggle button in the sequence editor to loop the sequence over and over like in V2.

Ill have more in mind just as soon as I post this, but these are features I think would benefit everyone, not just me..

thanks for all the hard work,
James

Last edited:
Thanks again for the comments. Just wanted to say I still keep an eye on the thread, and whilst we don't get a chance to implement everything, it's good to have the history of ideas and comments from people. :) After this christmas season, I'll sit down and make a list/roadmap for next year, and see if we can get a bunch of these things on there.

It would be helpful if Vixen had an output plug-in that was able to send out DEC or Hex bytes. This would allow relay boards not setup for ASCII string commands to be used.

It would be helpful if Vixen had an output plug-in that was able to send out DEC or Hex bytes. This would allow relay boards not setup for ASCII string commands to be used.

Can you provide some more info on what you are looking for. Ive been working on a simple setup dialog for the Renard PX1, and prior to that I could not have told you what the Renard protocol uses, but now knowing.. It is in Hex format. I am a contributing member of the development team, but I am not involved in the output module portion. With some more information I think I can help you achieve what you are looking for, weather that would be a custom module that was available for download or actually built in and included may be a different story. I had a thought along the same lines a while back, as I use to use some of the products from http://www.controlanything.com/

Anyhow, you can find me on Yahoo IM as bolwire if you would care to chat about it further, and see what we can come up with.

James

Actually, I believe you can do what you wish using the custom value effect in combination with the generic serial controller.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkvackwards

Well I apologize in advance if anything I'm about to mention has already been addressed in the previous 20 pages but that's a lot to try to skim through....

I'm using the most recent version and I'd like to mention a couple 'bugs' I've noticed as well

'Bug' #1 ( a big one for me ). If I am editing a sequence and make any modification to any effect while the timeline is playing I run into a major issue. I can still continue to edit but anything thereafter does not actually get taken into account. There are many times I have made a change not realizing the timeline was still playing, continued editing for a while, and then realized the edits were showing on the timeline but nothing was actually getting registered. The preview nor connected equipment reflects any of the changes on the timeline. I can reproduce this is issue everytime on multiple machines so I'm pretty sure it's in the software. The other effect of this bug is that once I notice whats happened, even if I save the sequence, close it, and re-open it, nothing after the 'edit while playing' is saved.

With that bug being mentioned, this brings to me a request/change. I use a lot of editing software and it's pretty universal to have the spacebar be a play/pause toggle. Regardless of whether the "loop" play mode is on or off. I know there are shortcuts for the pause, and stop but those are F keys if I remember correctly and can be a bit of a pain to access when editing (especially on a laptop that has it's F keys as alt keys). I have personally got around this by mapping the buttons on a belkin n5te control pad to be along the lines of what I would expect from a sequencer/editor

Copy/Paste is finicky - Not sure why, but in vixen a copy or past action takes a very deliberate process of: Touch no keys: Press ctrl: wait 1/4 second: press C: wait 1/4 second: release C: wait: release ctrl. Again, tested this on multiple PC's.

Feature Request: There is currently another thread where the topic of Vixens web interface API has been mentioned. I personally would love to start diving into a full fledged web based control panel with guest access and show queuing. I found the mention of the web interface on the Vixen site but still can't find a full list of http get commands and parameters. I'd just add as a 'sub-request' for this feature to be expanded as much as you guys can. I see a TON of potential with this feature.

Request: Have the sequencer open defaulted to the last audio output device chosen previously (obviously a very small issue, just something I notice because I never us my primary sound device for vixen)

Request: Shift select among multiple channels. I'm pretty sure I haven't been able to get this to work. I can shift select a range of entire channels but not a range of effects across multiple channels located between two effects chosen.

Regardless of those minor bugs/request, I couldn't be happier with the logic and setup of elements and outputs in Vixen 3. It's a dream for any INTJ!

Actually, I believe you can do what you wish using the custom value effect in combination with the generic serial controller.

--Jon Chuchla--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkvackwards

Hi Jon,

The ability of Vixen to set up independant on/off timing for different channels gives it the potential to be repurposed. What I'm hoping to do is use Vixen in conjunction with a multi-channel relay board and use it to control, for example, test equipment. A channel can be used to trigger a temperature chamber, a second could be used to trigger a data logger, etc.. You can set up a complete test profile using Vixen, at least that was my hope. In my case the relay board is looking for Hex/Dec commands which I don't believe Vixen generates. If you know of a way I can get the commands out as Hex/Dec it would be appreciated.

Joe

I'm re-posting this because I'm not sure it went through originally.

The ability of Vixen to set up independant on/off timing for different channels gives it the potential to be repurposed. What I'm hoping to do is use Vixen in conjunction with a multi-channel relay board and use it to control, for example, test equipment. A channel can be used to trigger a temperature chamber, a second could be used to trigger a data logger, etc.. You can set up a complete test profile using Vixen to coordinate the timing, at least that was my hope. In my case the relay board (NCD) is looking for Hex/Dec commands which I don't believe Vixen generates. If you know of a way I can get the commands out as Hex/Dec it would be appreciated.

Joe

One thing that I would like to see done, is to make vixen 3 easily transferable between computers. I planned to use it this year, until I ran into trouble transferring from my sequencing computer to my show computer. This may have been my own mistake, but I like how in vixen 2 you can just cut and copy a file and it will work.

It would also be great to have a way to map the channels better. It gets a little annoying to have to do them one by one.

Otherwise, I think it is a great bit of software that has a lot of potential.

Back