What type of ladder do you have?

dcamron

I need to buy a ladder next week for setup. I used to borrow one that’s 1AA rated but don’t have access to it anymore. I’m not sure how strong to go. Mine needs to be 28 foot and will only be used for Christmas Lights on the eaves (1.5 stories). I weigh 165 lbs.

Last edited:
For 165lbs, any rating will do. Keep in mind that the heavier the rating, the heavier the ladder. It’s not necessarily better to buy heavier duty if it’s gonna make it harder to move around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluminum ladders flex so not as secure in my opinion. I would do a fiberglass. Class 1 is 250#. The ladder is heavy, but may do a better job keeping the doctor away.

The only thing to keep in mind about aluminum is that they're conductive. That's why most electricians don't use aluminum ladders. It's not really a big deal with low voltage stuff. But it's something to be aware of.

I would suggest a Type II at the least but prefer a IA. This will allow most people to be able to utilize the ladder safely. A Type III is rated at 200 lbs. I would max it out and if I am carrying anything with me I am over its weight rating. Type II is rated at 225. This will give a little buffer and should cover you at 165 plus anything you may carry or hoist up. A Type IAA is way overkill and very heavy.

Type II and IA seem to be the most prevalent at the big box stores.

You can see the ratings here : http://www.cisco-eagle.com/catalog/topic/Article-LadderSafe1

Fiberglass will weigh more than the aluminum but will flex less as well. If you are comfortable on ladders at a height of 28 feet then an aluminum may be good for you. If you are a bit uneasy at that height then fiberglass may be better for you. And the higher the rating the stiffer it will be when extended.

I personally prefer fiberglass as that is what I have used since 1993 when I started working as an electrician.

I have a 1a 3 slide 32 foot fibberglasss ladder. things is 84 lbs but man is it stable. i also have a 24 foot ladder that i use most of the time but it is a la type 3 rating that flexes allot when at full extension

Back