Where do you store your decorations after the season?

Goofballs22

Hello All,

I know a lot of people have a lot of decorations they put up and I was wondering where do you store it till the next season. I live in southern California and we don't have a lot of storage at home and a small back yard. I also don't have a sophisticated set up using the software but I have a lot of lights and add to my house each year. I love seeing people drive by and smile at my effort and hope it makes them feel happy. So here is why I am asking my question, I am running out of storage locations in my garage and home and I would like to keep expanding year over year with mega trees, arches, walkway tunnels and this year I am adding an Axworthy Flying Santa and Reindeer above my house. I can take it all to a storage location but I was hoping to get other ideas from seasoned members that may sway me into a different direction.

Here is an example of my house from last season: Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/yNusUkrGlhM. I start putting up lights tomorrow with my boys to finish for the Police Santa Float which arrives in front of my house on Sunday evening.

Thank you,

Goofballs

I've got a lot in my garage attic, and more in the shed. The shed stuff is the heavy or bulky stuff that wouldn't easily go into the attic. I've built wooden crates that hold my collapsed minitrees, and all of my coro props. It keeps them from getting damaged or tangled and makes them fit on the shelf nice and neatly.

When I had my basement remodeled I had a cargo lift added to the garage attic. Just a Harbor Freight wench and a hatch. Even approved by the building department because it wasn't man rated. Anything that fits through a 2'x4' hole goes up there.

Bought a small shed this summer, so when the lights come down after this season, they will go in bins in the shed. Well, the pieces and parts that can. Right now, they are on the house.

Combination of garage and shed. The garage is mainly tubs full of ext cords, string lights, controllers, and basically anything that can fit in a plastic tub. The shed is for all my blow molds and bigger pieces.

all the lights go into tubs and are stored in unfinished storage room in the basement. I have a metal shelf that the controllers mounted in CG-1500 demarcation boxes are stored on in the basement as well. All my props (mini trees, inflatables, blow-mold nativity, large (8' tall X 4" candy canes, wire reindeer, spiral trees, etc) go up in the attic above my garage. That is a total PITA to get up there and down, but not too bad when I have a helper to take down/put up the stuff.

That is a fine display you had there :). The attic is a good spot that may be available. Also, if you haven't utilized the space near the ceiling of your garage, we have shelf things that hang from the ceiling (anchored into the studs). If you have any space out back, you can also pick up portable plastic sheds. They're easy to buy and set up.

Blowmolds go in a trash bag and then wrapped with stretch wrap. Then they go in the crawlspace under my house. Everything else goes in large bins stacked in the shed. Wife inventories each item as it gets placed into a numbered bin. She can tell me what is where, and won't let me into the bins without being there so she can keep track of it. Gosh I love her.

Jeff

Blowmolds go in a trash bag and then wrapped with stretch wrap. Then they go in the crawlspace under my house. Everything else goes in large bins stacked in the shed. Wife inventories each item as it gets placed into a numbered bin. She can tell me what is where, and won't let me into the bins without being there so she can keep track of it. Gosh I love her.

Jeff

That's a keeper!
Wish mine did more than ask, "when is OUR display going up I have people asking"......OUR is the part that always gets me...LOL

That's a keeper!
Wish mine did more than ask, "when is OUR display going up I have people asking"......OUR is the part that always gets me...LOL

I'm very fortunate she worked in an arts and crafts warehouse for 28 years. She retired last Thursday. Yesterday she came to me with drawings of the shed with new shelves WE are going to build. Flip the W to indicate who is going to build the shelves. She said she's tired of having to wait for me to get home if she needs something out of a bin at the bottom of the stack. I feel her pain. In my arms, legs and lower back.

Jeff

We have a covered deck in our back yard. Lights go into bins then stored under that deck outside after they’ve been taken inside to dry for a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back our old shed was no longer water tight and needed to go. So we took it down and I rebuilt a new bigger, almost two story, shed/barn. The shed/barn has an upper level that holds Christmas, I have shelving in the unit that will hold almost 40 standard totes, and there is still room for the wife's garden tools, lawn mower, and yard wagon. We were having the house re-sided and r-roofed at the time, so I had the shed done at the same time so it matches the house. Looks nice and holds all of my Christmas.

I have an efficient, compact method for storing my Megatrees. I'm planning on documenting it on the Wiki as soon as I get access.

I currently only have a house outline and window frames. All my PixelBulbs are on zip tied to PVC. I have around 450+ feet of PVC so I needed somewhere to store it. So I installed the Rubbermaid fasttrack closet organizing wire shelf in the garage. I installed the shelf upside down to hold the PVC if they were to shift they wouldn’t fall off the shelf onto the floor. I also made some (3D printed) S hooks to attach to the bottom of the wire shelf so I could clip my window frames to the bottom shelf to keep them off the garage floor and risk any damage to them. I will attach pictures if anyone cares to see.

14C885C2-E3F4-4A65-BBB9-B0767B178D34.jpg

28F09C31-3A6E-41BD-BFE5-367D156C07E9.jpg

Last edited:
I pretty much need to use one of those briefcases from Fantastic Beasts (Harry Potter) to store my stuff. I don't know what muggles would use to get by with that much stuff.

When I built my shed 10 years ago, light storage was on my mind. I built a shed with a Loft. I store my arches, window frames, and a couple of other flat props on the rafters on the bottom side of the loft (already taken down in my picture). All my totes and bulkier items go up into the loft. I made a hand pulled "elevator" to get everything up to the loft without lugging it up the ladder.
Shed 1024.jpg Rafters 1024.jpg Totes in loft 1024.jpg elevator 1024.jpg

Back