Which DCSSR to get? Dumb RBG strip.

Aurbo99

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greetings

I have 2 feet of dumb rgb strips in my North pole for lighting.

+12v
B
R
G

is the wiring layout.

+12vdc is COMMON and the ground wires run independent for each colour, THIS IS OPPOSITE to how a typical SSR is built where ground is COMMON.

Not pixel strips, just dumb 12vdc 5050 leds with resistors..

Which DC SSR should I be looking to buy?

No - - the typical DCSSR is common anode (common +) and the MOSFETs sink the ground from each color.

So on a DC SSR like this, would you run a jumper wire from the + out to the other + outs and then connect the R,G, and B to the - outs.
IMG_3008.jpg
I have to admit I'm a little confused about this as well.

I'm not completely familiar with the DirkCheap SSR but I think you'll find it's the same as the DCSSR and the input +DC is the same connection/trace as the + on the RGB outputs and are already connected together. A quick look at it visually and/or with a meter should tell you that.

You'd provide +/- power at the DC IN terminal block. Then you have four channels of output, and the + signal is common to all four channels while the - is switched. You would want to use common anode strips with this SSR.

So on a DC SSR like this, would you run a jumper wire from the + out to the other + outs and then connect the R,G, and B to the - outs.
View attachment 29605
I have to admit I'm a little confused about this as well.

In answer to the OP's question. I would recommend one Dirk's Cheap DC SSR's like shown above. You can get them @ http://digwdf.com/store/category.php?id_category=9 . He has two different versions available, one is capable of handling higher amperage.

You'd provide +/- power at the DC IN terminal block. Then you have four channels of output, and the + signal is common to all four channels while the - is switched. You would want to use common anode strips with this SSR.

Ah Ha!! that makes sense. Thank You.

No - - the typical DCSSR is common anode (common +) and the MOSFETs sink the ground from each color.

Budude, on closer examination of my DC SSR, you are correct! re-wiring my connection and testing..

Edit**
Forgot to reply after testing..

Everything is working.. I had my SISO board incorrectly wired to my Ren8SS

Last edited:
Back