Whole house pixel wrap

sginut

So I'm going to be a little aggressive with my pixel deployment in 2012, wrapping all vertical surfaces of the house in them. To make this possible, I need to space the pixels farther apart than the standard 3" most people use. I've ordered some custom strings in various spacing but while I wait for them to arrive, has anyone else spent any time/research on the matter? I would LOVE to do video-quality resolutions but there is no way I can come close to the pixel counts required for that.

Looking at various photos of folks who have attempted house wraps before using conventional lights, 12" spacing appears to provide a nice overall effect however I don't believe that would be dense enough to do patterns and have them identifiable. To test, I put together some C7's on grids with 8" & 10" spacing and that does give a nice wash effect but I don't have the ability to test with animations so it's hard to determine if that spacing would allow me to do display moving sprites. Distance will be roughly 20-30 feet to the closest viewer.

Any thoughts?

Looking at various photos of folks who have attempted house wraps before using conventional lights, 12" spacing appears to provide a nice overall effect however I don't believe that would be dense enough to do patterns and have them identifiable.

I think that the size of the pixels compared to the space around them is what makes the image identifiable or not, so difusing the light would probably help to make the image more recognizable if the pixels have larger spacing.

There is an example comparing point source vs. diffused pixels near the top of page 10 of this doc:
http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com/Howidid-DumbRGBPixelGrid.pdf

Photos further down that page and elsewhere show 5 mm LEDs that were diffused to fill about a 5" space.

OTOH if there is too much difusion, then the pixels can overlap. In that case you might need to put separators between them in order to keep the image recognizable. Some of the Coro display props do that, and it looks quite nice.

don

i wish you luck. to me as cool as it sounds, i dunno if i could ever get myself so do something like that. just a lil to busy for me i guess. would love to see the results and i hope you can pull it off clean looking.

but yea def play around with it to find the best solution. 12in spacing might be a bit much but who knows. make it work and post up results:)

Back