Will these two Relays work the same way with Arduino?

Oldschoolgrimmy

Hi everybody! Total noob here, but I’m looking to build my own relay boxes using Arduinos and SSRs and control them with Vixen 3.0. I have purchased the following relays:

http://r.ebay.com/bytZn9

But the issue is that I have is that I have several channels in my display that are likely going to need more than 2 amps. So I’d like to use these guys below for the high-amperage channels:

http://r.ebay.com/SPzRBG

Here’s my question: Will these play well together using the same Arduino program? The 2 amp boards are high-level triggers, and the 8 amp versions can be set to high-level. So will they work together without a problem? I’m pretty handy, but I’m no programmer. I need boards that will all work with the same program, which I’ve copied from someone else. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi, you linked the 2A twice. If the 8A have the option of low or high level trigger they should work - I'd link them before pressing buy though.

Cant tell if those have the built in zero crossing circuit. If it is there then you cannot dim, just on or off. Most of these do have a ZC. As for polarity, remember, YOU are programming the Arduino to do what YOU need it to do. If you need active high on one output and active low on another? Program it. That is the whole point behind Arduino and custom programming.

Could an Admin please close this thread? I started it, but I apparently deleted my original post somehow and now the thread makes no sense. So sorry! I was trying to do this on my Safari browser on my cell phone, but clearly that was not a good idea. I will start a fresh thread in just a moment. Thanks!

OK. I've tried re-starting the thread, but they're not appearing in the forum once I start them, so I must be doing something wrong. I sincerely apologize to the moderators if I've made a big mess of duplicate threads! I'll just re-post my question here and call it good.

Need some help from someone smarter than me! I'm planning to build a couple of arduino/SSR module control boxes for this coming Christmas, but I need a little help. Long story short, I have a few light strings that will probably need more amperage than the 2A provided by your typical high-level trigger arduino-capable module.

This is what I've already purchased: http://r.ebay.com/7JbeWE

I've found some similar SSR modules on eBay that say they'll handle up to 8 Amps of AC current.

They are listed here: http://r.ebay.com/EQKkz0

So here's the question. Will these work together properly using the same Arduino program? They're both high-trigger (the 8A has to be set to high-trigger), and both are listed as arduino compatible. I'm planning on using this program, which was recommended by Dee Higginbottom on Youtube: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?36477-Multiple-Arduinos/page2

I am totally clueless when it comes to programming, so I need to make sure I can use a program that's already out there for me to "borrow." So, will this work if I use these two different types of relays side-by-side in the same box?

Thanks in advance! :thup:

Wow. What a disaster I made of this! Sorry guys! These message boards work totally different than ones I’ve used before. I’m a little embarrassed. I think what I’m actually going to do is simply get a kill-a-watt meter and use it to check my strings amperage. If it’s above 2a, I’ll just have to split it up on more than one channel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant tell if those have the built in zero crossing circuit. If it is there then you cannot dim, just on or off. Most of these do have a ZC. As for polarity, remember, YOU are programming the Arduino to do what YOU need it to do. If you need active high on one output and active low on another? Program it. That is the whole point behind Arduino and custom programming.

Is there such a thing as an Arduino for dummies book? Any good recommendations on how a total noob with zero programming experience can get a little smarter on this stuff? Thanks for the response!

Is there such a thing as an Arduino for dummies book? Any good recommendations on how a total noob with zero programming experience can get a little smarter on this stuff? Thanks for the response!

Welcome to the forum and fun world of Arduinos!

For the Arduino side of things, if you download their IDE, they have a bunch of example projects for blinking an LED on the board and stuff like that. I would start with some of those simple ones and make some minor changes and convince yourself you know what's going on. There are tons of people on here who can help too, so don't be afraid to ask.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes there are many books on how to program an arduino. However, the learning curve can be pretty steep. You might want to look into using some premade controllers and spend the time learning other parts of this hobby first.

You might be better off looking into Renard controllers. Much easier to learn and use. And a much larger user base here to help you. They are designed just for this hobby.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You might be better off looking into Renard controllers. Much easier to learn and use. And a much larger user base here to help you. They are designed just for this hobby.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve looked into that option a bit, but I’m still a little confused. The info on their website is confusing. Do you have to buy a kit and put it together for Renard, or do they come complete?

You can by used assembled gear here in the forum. I saw a couple of SS24s go the other week. You can ask in the buy/sell forum to see if anyone has anything they want to sell. Many people are adding pixels and reducing the number of AC/DC channels in use so some gear may be available. Talk to Wayne J here on this forum to see if he has anything available. Most new gear is in kit form (a bit of DIY) but the instructions are spot on and the gear is easy to assemble.

If you are talking about the renard-plus store, that is different than the stock Renard line. They have productized some controllers and some gear is assembled while other gear is a kit. Have you read the wiki on this site? There is a pretty good description of most of the more common gear people are using.

You can by used assembled gear here in the forum. I saw a couple of SS24s go the other week. You can ask in the buy/sell forum to see if anyone has anything they want to sell. Many people are adding pixels and reducing the number of AC/DC channels in use so some gear may be available. Talk to Wayne J here on this forum to see if he has anything available. Most new gear is in kit form (a bit of DIY) but the instructions are spot on and the gear is easy to assemble.

If you are talking about the renard-plus store, that is different than the stock Renard line. They have productized some controllers and some gear is assembled while other gear is a kit. Have you read the wiki on this site? There is a pretty good description of most of the more common gear people are using.

Thanks very much! You guys are the best!

Back